heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Cardiac Cycling Club International

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cardiac Cycling Club International

Post by Viking on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks to one of your members (marathonman60) I was tipped off to this forum. I won't go into great detail, but I am a 65 y/o cyclist who had quadruple bypass surgery 15 months ago. 45 years ago I was a racing cyclist. I've also competed in 10K running races and long-distance x-country ski races, but my competitive days are behind me (not my competitive nature, however.)

Last year I began using the Strava app on my iPhone to track my rides. You can use this free, but there are some additional features for "premium" members. One is to create a virtual "club" on Strava where riders can post their rides, have some discussion etc. I created the "Cardiac Cycling Club International" for that purpose. Personally, I believe cycling is almost the perfect exercise for recovery from heart attacks, bypass and the like since you can very precisely calibrate your effort to match your conditioning and training.

Anyway, I hope we can get more discussion here among cyclists. In the meantime, feel free to check out the Cardiac Cycling Club. Who knows, we may even create a jersey!

http://www.strava.com/clubs/CardiacCyclingClub

Gary
Duluth, MN

Viking

Back to top Go down

Re: Cardiac Cycling Club International

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi Gary and welcome to HEART!

We do have at least one other very serious biker here on the forum and I'm sure you'll be hearing from Bill soon. I too think cycling is excellent exercise, in fact if I didn't wear myself out running all the time I would do a lot more of it... Bill and I got together last summer for a few days and pounded out some pretty tough miles in the mountains of Pennsylvania plus we did a little kayaking too.

Details Here  

We had a great time but he's way out of my league. You mentioned some 70 and 100 mile rides on your calender over on the inspire site. What and where are they?  I'm glad you've joined us here. We need more varied interests and with your passion for cycling and exercise, you're a great addition to the group.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:25 am

Dave,
In Minnesota we are blessed with some spectacular paved bike trails. In the winter, they are used by snowmobiles! Anyway, the 70 miler is part of the Great River Energy Mesabi Trail Tour. Details are found here:

http://mntrails.com/event/great-river-energy-mesabi-trail-tour-3

The 100 miler is called the Headwaters 100 since it is around the headwaters of the Mississippi. Up here, we can literally wade across the Big Muddy. Details are found here:

http://mntrails.com/event/headwaters-100-5

I live in Duluth at the tip of Lake Superior. This is an extremely hilly area, so the rails-to-trails thing offers a bit of relief from the endless climbing. I do a lot of riding on the Willard Munger State Trail. Once you get to the "plateau" about 10 miles from Lake Superior things flatten out a bit. Early in the season, I like to get my base miles on relatively flat terrain.

The biggest problem here is the length of our winters - usually a full six months. We are north of Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal - so a lot Canadians live south of us! I started bike racing in Southern California in the late 60's but when I moved back home to Minnesota switched to running and x-country ski racing. I lived 3 miles from the nearest paved road and in 1972 didn't know what a "mountain bike" was. My fancy racing bike sat idle for many years.

Viking

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Welcome, Gary!

Sounds like you've got some great biking in MN when it's not all frozen over. I am getting some cabin fever myself and looking forward to spring. I was an avid joy rider before I got mixed up with triathlon for 10+ years, but now I am getting back into touring. Spring can't get here soon enough.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Welcome. I'm currently planning on being in Minnesota (twin cities) during the summer of 2015, with my bike, for the National Senior Games. I'm planning on the triathlon.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:08 am

Looks like some great rides there Viking. I've always wanted to explore your area and probably will but ONLY in summer!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:53 am

Gary, my husband and I have been meaning to take Hwy 2 from the UP of MI to do some camping/canoeing up near the boundary waters.....in the summer of course.....sounds like we should coordinate a visit!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:05 am

A big welcome from the Ohio version of your first name. I have a brother and at least twenty of his extended family living west of Minneapolis so I'm due a visit to your state this summer. Maybe I can hitch a ride with Rachel & Nate.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Viking on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:58 am

Gee, thanks for the great welcome!

Everyone up here has major cabin fever at this point in time, and there is really only one cure: get outside! Except for the fact that I don't ride in the Winter (although a "fat" bike for riding on snowmobile trails is something I would like to try) I love the season. Then again, I'm a full-blooded Swede and there is a reason my people lived where they did and moved to this neck of the woods.

Yesterday I broke trail on my snowshoes through 15 inches of new snow for an hour. It's like walking up stairs with ankle weights. Good workout, but a real struggle for my poor dogs.

I'll do almost anything to avoid indoor exercise although I do a couple of interval training sessions on my stationary trainer every week.

Lake Superior is almost totally frozen over this year. That means a VERY cool spring and probably half the summer. We could very well have ice in the lake until late May or early June, and when the wind blows from the East it can be rather brutal!

Viking

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum