heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Truffle Shuffle 4 Mile

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Truffle Shuffle 4 Mile

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:14 pm

This was just my second race since starting my comeback. Certainly I'm not race sharp yet, and it showed as this felt like a sprint right from the start.

I went out very fast, as I wanted to be in the lead pack to help with the wind. A 13 year old girl went rolling by me, which got me thinking that maybe I was running far too slow, in spite of how it felt. I just haven't done any fast training yet, so that was throwing off my sense of pace. By around a 1/2 mile, the lead group broke apart rapidly, and I made the decision to go with the 2 leaders. It didn't take long for me to realize their pace was way beyond me. So by 3/4 of a mile, I dropped back and found myself running entirely solo the rest of the way. That certainly wasn't what I wanted in the windy conditions.

I just did my best to hold form and keep the pace as fast as I thought I could handle without blowing up. In the past I've always wanted to feel very comfortable through at least the first half of each race, but I've found now that doesn't seem to apply anymore. I think my perception of what is hard vs. comfortable has been skewed by taking a year off. Now what feel like a suicidal pace right from the start is about right. In this race, in spite of how hard it felt, I was surprised to have a lot left over at the end, and I ran the last 600m quite fast.

The end result was 21:53 (5:28 pace) for 3rd overall and 1st master. That is a big step forward from my 10K on January 1st, so I'll take it. The 13 year old girl crashed and burned, but still ran 26:00. She is only in the 8th grade, so someone to watch out for in the future.
EugeneRunner

Back to top Go down

Re: Truffle Shuffle 4 Mile

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Wow!!! That's a blistering time as far as I'm concerned... Nice comeback!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:14 am

I think your time is amazing and I'm glad that you're on the comeback!!! BTW - I LOVE your avatar!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:49 pm

Rachel August wrote:BTW - I LOVE your avatar!!!

Yeah, it's okay, but I'm a bit upset that I can't post one like that!!! First off, no one would recognize me because all the ones of me at full stride breaking the tape pictured some thin guy with a head of hair. Secondly, those photos are now so brittle that trying to copy them would undoubtedly result in a pile of ashes.

Good thing I'm taking anger management classes or I would insist that he remove that photo!!!!
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:39 pm

But everyone else is smiling in their avatars!

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Gary...gently put the photo on the scanner..close the lid and push the button..the photo will be fine.

5:28....that's not too shabby....last time I did one of those was more than a few whiles ago. Congrats!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Awesome avatar!

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 pm

It turns out this race was a bit much for my old body to handle. A week later I still hadn't fully recovered. Since I was beat up anyway, I spent yesterday doing some yard work, which will require few more days of recovery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum