heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Are You Ready To Ramp It Up?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are You Ready To Ramp It Up?

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:05 pm

If you've completed Cardiac Rehab, have your Cardiologist's approval, and are ready to take it up a notch, we're here to help and support you. Our members all started out with the same questions, fears, and hopes that you have so we "Get It"... What's your next goal?
Admin
Admin

http://heartorg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Are You Ready To Ramp It Up?

Post by pjs74 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:11 pm

This seems the best category to ask this question to the group.

My running and biking is going well and tomorrow I am going swimming for the first time since my MI. So to refresh, my MI was a 100% block of the LAD back in August 2014. This was treated with stents. Recently I learned that I have new blood vessel formation in my scare tissue in my heart and I am running easier these days, slow as it is, for a couple of miles. But 5.5 mph at 1% I can keep it around 115 bpm.

I want to ask what you all recommend for upper body and core maintenance. I know planking and push ups are not permitted for me at the moment, but my muscles are screaming for something. The last discussion with my cardiologist, he recommended a 30lb lifting limit, I next see him in February.

Are light weights and stability balls ok for some work along with my swimming? I feel like I need to start doing something to settle down some aches I get just from twisting the wrong way these days!! Any advice welcome. Thanks!

pjs74

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:37 pm

Do you know why they don't approve of planks or pushups? I haven't heard that before.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by HerbW on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:14 pm

My idea of ramping it up. Just need the airfare.
HerbW

Back to top Go down

I would get a more definitive reason from your cardiologist

Post by Gary E on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:59 pm

I had a "double" stent (I think it was longer than standard) of the LAD (aka widow-maker) years ago and I was never told such a thing. I also swim and do push-ups every morning. The only restriction I have is on pull-ups (see below)

My pacemaker that was implanted three month's prior to the stent (which may have saved my life when I finally did have the "big one"). Obviously, it is an older version that still uses leads into the heart chambers. Those leads can be compromised during any overhead lifting of weights, due to the "rotating" movement of the clavicle which could pinch the leads against the scapula.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by pjs74 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks for the replies. My cardiologist and separately the folks at cardiac rehab advised against push ups stating that it puts sudden increases in blood pressure on the heart. Again, I am only 6 months out since my event and still in the healing phase. I will be challenging this at my next visit to the cardiologist who is I believe quite conservative.

So you guys were doing push ups within months of your initial events?

I was thinking of starting stability ball work too.

Today I go swimming!

pjs74

Back to top Go down

Post by pjs74 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Just adding to my update. I had all my six month assessments done and the results are in. Results from my nuclear stress test show a Left Ventricel EF of 53%. Apparently my stented LAD is ok with blood flow getting to the tip of the heart. However, I did lose a branch off the LAD in the fight. The part of the heart it supplies is made of scare tissue and some live heart muscle that has poor blood supply. Hopefully that muscle keeps going until I can get more vessels out there. The Echo calculated and EF of 50%. Both these are up from the 45% 6 months ago after the event. I am not giving up on improving on this situation.

I am cautiously continuing with my rehab. I did my first 3 mile run last week on the dreadmill. I get in what I can 4-5 days a week mixing the spin bike and the treadmill. I am now running at 5.8 mph at 1% grad with a heart rate of up to 115 ish. I have noticed my heart rate has come down in the last month during exercise and my resting heart rate is now 49.

I still get those twinges in the chest. Today they are because of the dart board I got for my birthday. I have used my upper body so little, that throwing some darts has given me some aches!

I intend to add some light weights and core work in to my routine here and there no and get to the pool more. Hopefully working the upper body will settle the twinges down a bit.

On top of this, my anxiety is better controlled. I am ignoring the twinges now as skeletal. The back of the brain asks a question now and again and we discuss it without getting in to a panic.

Hope this story sounds familiar to some of you too but at 6 months post LAD block, I am feeling some days quite normal, yes there are off days, but working in the right direction. I did enjoy a family trip to Clearwater Florida a couple of weeks ago which was great and I felt the best I have during recovery! State of mind is key.

Best,

Phil. Scotch Plains, NJ.

pjs74

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Phil, It looks like you're doing quite well for 6 months out and I think you're doing it right... Being careful but seriously working to grow new collateral vessels. Your exercise program is great for 6 mo and you sound like your confidence is improving a lot as you rack up more miles. IMO that's the only way to get it back. Every day you run you'll get a little more. I had those twinges for at least a year, probably more. They sure can be scary and knowing when to seek help is important but so is understanding when they are part of the healing/rebuilding process. It all takes time.

I'm glad you're feeling so good. You're doing a great job!!  

Now that you've run a 3 miler maybe you should target a 5K or 10K with this group in West Virgina in October. We all would love to meet you and celebrate your come back!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum