heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.

Post by EugeneRunner on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:49 pm

Good to see you here Eugene Mike! You are the first person here I've actually met in person!

I don't have a recent surgery or procedure to share (my MI+stent dates back to 2011), but at some point I'll finish writing up my story and share it.

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:44 am

Hi Natasha,
I had my aortic valve replaced in 2007. After that I would go in for yearly stress echo tests. In 2010, about 10 days after running the Boston Marathon I was on the treadmill for my stress test. Twice during the test I went into non-sustained VT. My heart rate hit the equivalence of 300 beats a minute. Spent the rest of the year performing tests trying to figure out what was causing it. I was diagnosed with a genetic disorder called CPVT.

When I was told it was a genetic disorder I asked doctor after doctor how I didn't end up collapsing or worse at one of my workouts or races. There was no answer. Thus, over time, I started thinking if I had made it 41 years with this why stop now.

I had my ICD placed in April 2012. I called it my safety net. That October I ran the Chicago Marathon. My concerns about it zapping me have gone down and I don't let it ruin my run or bike ride anymore. My device has not delivered a shock yet. This last check showed for the first time that my device had done some first ever short pacing runs. Didn't obviously even know that they happened.

If my back will cooperate I will continue with endurance sports and be thankful my condition was diagnosed in the hospital and not on the side of a race course. Over time I've come to see my ICD as a way to continue and no longer in fear of it.

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:01 am

kyoung wrote:Hi Natasha,
I had my aortic valve replaced in 2007. After that I would go in for yearly stress echo tests. In 2010, about 10 days after running the Boston Marathon I was on the treadmill for my stress test. Twice during the test I went into non-sustained VT. My heart rate hit the equivalence of 300 beats a minute. Spent the rest of the year performing tests trying to figure out what was causing it. I was diagnosed with a genetic disorder called CPVT.

When I was told it was a genetic disorder I asked doctor after doctor how I didn't end up collapsing or worse at one of my workouts or races. There was no answer. Thus, over time, I started thinking if I had made it 41 years with this why stop now.

I had my ICD placed in April 2012. I called it my safety net. That October I ran the Chicago Marathon. My concerns about it zapping me have gone down and I don't let it ruin my run or bike ride anymore. My device has not delivered a shock yet. This last check showed for the first time that my device had done some first ever short pacing runs. Didn't obviously even know that they happened.

If my back will cooperate I will continue with endurance sports and be thankful my condition was diagnosed in the hospital and not on the side of a race course. Over time I've come to see my ICD as a way to continue and no longer in fear of it.  

Kevin,

I don't think I ever knew your history - WOW, quite an inspiration!!!! Looking forward to meeting you in person this October!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Anybody know the typical lifespan of a pacemaker?  I had my second one implanted this morning, and my wife said that I had the original one for well over a decade.  I'm not the best at keeping my medical records in order, and wondered how long some of you have had yours?
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Gary E wrote:Anybody know the typical lifespan of a pacemaker?  I had my second one implanted this morning, and my wife said that I had the original one for well over a decade.  I'm not the best at keeping my medical records in order, and wondered how long some of you have had yours?

Glad the implant went well Gary... New hardware and software, cool! Do you have a supercharged mode now for extra speed?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Hey Gary,
Mine's only 3 1/2 yrs. old.  The projected battery life at that time was 10-12 years.  It depends on what percentage of the time it spends pacing, it it's pacing on 1 lead or 2, etc.  It also depends on how much juice it needs to activate a heartbeat.  The impedance on one of my leads has dropped 30% since implant, which means it requires 30% more power to work.  I just know you wanted to have all of this explained to you. No
What make and model did you get?

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:30 pm

I  know it is from St Jude because there were two reps in the corner of the operating room wearing black shirts with that name on their chests.  Everyone else was in scrubs (except for naked me!!!).  Alright, now that you have recovered from that haunting image...I did have a warm and rather heavy blanket from my waist down.

I've been able to view "live" the majority of my operations (most via nearby TV monitor, but my foot, hand, and vasectomy were done while I was just sitting up watching).  My favorite was the groin cath of my stent placement.  It was neat seeing the dye being injected at various points in the procedure as they decided which arterial to choose next.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:27 pm

You could see what they were doing?

mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Yeah, all the nerves are on the outside of the body, so they just anesthetize the point of entry and I watch the same monitor that the doc does.  My meniscus repair was also fascinating, but the vasectomy the real eye-opener.

I should have been a surgeon, but all I wanted was to be better at sports than my older brothers (and also to be an aviator like each of them).  Poor eyesight, a lack of their height, speed, and coordination prevented that from happening...but I couldn't accept it until I reached well beyond middle age.  At least I had good looks.  

Oh, I forgot, most of you have seen me in person, so I can't convince any of you of that Sad Sad

Last edited by Gary E on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:27 pm

I have never met you so I'll take the good looks part on good faith. lol!
Glad the procedure went well and hope the recovery is uneventful.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:15 pm

If I wrote about all my procedures, I'd fill up the whole forum.

My latest ablation is documented in the thread "Update since ablation".

And I'm almost as good looking as Gary. Wink

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

Gary,
They told me I could watch the pacemaker implant, then put a sheet over my head, made me turn my head 90 degrees to the right, and did the procedure from the left side of the table. All I could see was the anesthesiologist occasionally bending over and looking through the opening they had left in the cover. If my eyes were open I got more of whatever they were giving me.

mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum