heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

New To The Forum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New To The Forum?

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:34 am

We hope this forum will serve as a source of encouragement to those who may have recently been diagnosed with a heart problem, just had surgery, or perhaps are wanting to increase their exercise after completing cardiac rehab.

It may appear like everyone posting on this forum has been exceptionally fortunate or maybe just a little obsessed to accomplish what they have in spite of a heart issue but the truth is that they all (including me) were not too long ago struggling with the same questions and fears that you now have. Most of our current members have made great progress but we all understand life will never again be the same... It may be even better since we now have a new perspective.

If you are new here please feel free to register and introduce yourself on the forum... We assure you that you will be warmly welcomed whether you are a walker, a runner, a biker or swimmer or anything else you may want to do to win your personal battle with your heart problem. We're here for you but you have to join and jump in if you want to be a part of this great community.
Admin
Admin

http://heartorg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

AVR Recovery at 3 week point

Post by dibeatson on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:41 pm

My name is David Beatson and I joined the group following my aortic valve replacement surgery on 3.24.14.  I was in ICU 3 days and home after 6.  The surgery went very well and I am recovering nicely.  I have been walking 20-35 minutes 3 times each day.  Yesterday, however, I had a very hectic day - 7:30 am to 2:15 pm on 2 different company board conference calls.  By the end of the day, I was exhausted and I am still feeling pretty weak today.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover from such circumstances, aside from taking it a bit easier in the future?  Thanks for your input!

dibeatson

Back to top Go down

Re: New To The Forum?

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:40 pm

dibeatson wrote:My name is David Beatson and I joined the group following my aortic valve replacement surgery on 3.24.14.  I was in ICU 3 days and home after 6.  The surgery went very well and I am recovering nicely.  I have been walking 20-35 minutes 3 times each day.  Yesterday, however, I had a very hectic day - 7:30 am to 2:15 pm on 2 different company board conference calls.  By the end of the day, I was exhausted and I am still feeling pretty weak today.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recover from such circumstances, aside from taking it a bit easier in the future?  Thanks for your input!

Hello David, great to see you here on the forum (David has been communicating with a few of us via e mail since before his surgery)... They didn't let me go back to work until well over a month after surgery and then it was half days and confined to the office. OHS really does take a lot of energy to heal and recover from and I'm not sure there are any ways to optimize or speed up your recovery other than what you already have been doing. Hopefully someone here will have some effective tips... Being in excellent shape prior to your surgery is probably the best thing you have going for you now but you do have to listen to what your body is telling you. Take it easy when you need to and don't let any setbacks get you down.. You will get your endurance back!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Welcome David

I was walking regularly and felt pretty good when I showed up for my first day at work 5+ weeks after surgery, but my desk job had wiped me out by 2pm. I backed off to half days for the rest of the week. I did not expect that sitting on my @ at work would have such an impact. I agree with Dave that you need to ease back in.

I hope you are back to full strength soon.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi David!

WOW - you're only 3 weeks out from your OHS - I remember how tiring everything seemed to be for me at that stage in recovery.

At 3 weeks out for me I was still lounging around the house like a lazy kitten allowing my husband to cater to my every need....I mean really - how often is that EVER going to happen again?!?!?!? AND I still felt tired!!!

My advice is to make peace with feeling tired right now, EAT lots of good quality food, walk, be sure to take naps, and set boundaries when you can. Right now you're body is talking to you letting you know it needs to heal.

Great to hear that you're doing so well - you'll be back to full strength before you know it!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum