heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Weight Loss Challenge

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Weight Loss Challenge

Post by DonSoule on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Week 6 of the new challenge:

Nov 11 - 168.2 - 2.4 loss - Back to the 160's Very Happy 
Total for 6 weeks: 7.0 pounds lost!

Meredith hid the left over halloween candy!!  Smile

Last edited by DonSoule on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Geez, if I could get down to the 160s, I'd probably be running 8 minute miles again. I'm currently around 208 and that's the lowest I've been in several years.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm a little late getting my Monday weigh-in posted Embarassed 

Week 7 of the new challenge:

Nov 18 - 167.6 - 0.6 loss -  Not much but at least I'm still going down.
Total for 7 weeks: 7.6 pounds lost!

Jack - I can run 1 mile in 8 minutes but that's about it - would really like to be able to run a 5K at that pace -  30 years ago I could run a marathon at an 8 min pace but I'll never do that again!

Last edited by DonSoule on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:59 pm

Week 8 of the new challenge:

Nov 25 - 168.8 - 1.2 gain -  Wrong direction!  Getting harder!

Total for 8 weeks: 6.4 pounds lost!

Last edited by DonSoule on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Date error)

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:35 pm

You're doing a lot better than I am Don... You'll be back on track this week if you behave on Thanksgiving but this is the worst time of year for weight watching.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks Dave,  I'm back on track - Thanksgiving was no problem this year Smile  , it helped that my wife had shoulder surgery on her right shoulder almost three weeks ago for a large tear in her rotator cuff plus removing some bone spurs etc.. so she's been in a sling and not able to cook - the kids all went to the in-laws  - no big Turkey Dinner this year with left overs and multiple pie choices.  It was Denny's doing the portion control with their Senior Dinner - Turkey Dinner and small slice of pumpkin pie Smile

Week 9 of the new challenge:

Dec 2 - 166.0 - 2.8 loss - Largest loss during Thanksgiving week ever!!!! Very Happy 

Total for 9 weeks: 9.2 pounds lost!

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Week 10 of the new challenge:

Dec 9 - 166.2 / 0.2 gain - still ok, not up too much, I shouldn't be losing during may Marathon taper anyway.  

Total for 10 weeks: 9.0 pounds lost!

I'll probably gain more next week since I plan to do my full carb load routine for the Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville,  Alabama next weekend and I'm hoping I'll be celebrating a successful marathon after it.   Very Happy   I'll be away from my scale and my normal meals too so I'll do my weigh in after I get back next Tuesday but I'm expecting a gain.

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Good luck at Rocket City Don! I did that race several years ago and it is run as if there are rocket scientists running the show. My main memory is lots of turns. But pretty flat so you should be able to get a good time. Go get em!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Posting this only to keep me from back-sliding over the holidays

Post by Gary E on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm currently writing down everything that I eat, and also getting credit for all my aerobic activity thanks to my supplemental health insurance website. Of course, I'm only doing it to gain points for the "freebies" the site offers. As of this morning, I'm at 156.6 and hoping to be under 150 by the Cincy race in the spring.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Gary E wrote:I'm currently writing down everything that I eat, and also getting credit for all my aerobic activity thanks to my supplemental health insurance website. Of course, I'm only doing it to gain points for the "freebies" the site offers. As of this morning, I'm at 156.6 and hoping to be under 150 by the Cincy race in the spring.

You're always 3 steps ahead of me Gary (except in a kayak)... I'm jealous but motivated to keep chasing you and to keep you on your toes... Hope to see you Cincy!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:58 pm

tutt wrote:You're always 3 steps ahead of me Gary (except in a kayak)...

Just for the record, you suckered me into that sprint challenge. I should have suggested a longer distance.

Oh, and let it be known that I'm lifting weights regularly again so anytime you feel up to a rematch...
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Loosing weight was never an issue a decade ago

Post by Gary E on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I never thought I would get to this state, perhaps it is the "princess syndrome" I'm currently saddled with, but today I discovered that I'm really obsessing over this weight-loss effort.

Today I had a decent outdoor run (since it almost got to a balmy 30 degrees), but when I got home and tallied my caloric intake I was 300 calories over my limit. Knowing that if I ran for thirty more minutes, I would eradicate those poor nutritional choices I had made earlier in the day. Hence, I headed to the gym instead of eating dinner. Even though I'm not much of a treadmill guy, I stayed with it until the unit's display showed that I had burned at least that much.

Heading to bed absolutely starved,

Lightweight Wannabe
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:10 am

Gary E wrote:I never thought I would get to this state, perhaps it is the "princess syndrome" I'm currently saddled with, but today I discovered that I'm really obsessing over this weight-loss effort.

Today I had a decent outdoor run (since it almost got to a balmy 30 degrees), but when I got home and tallied my caloric intake I was 300 calories over my limit. Knowing that if I ran for thirty more minutes, I would eradicate those poor nutritional choices I had made earlier in the day. Hence, I headed to the gym instead of eating dinner. Even though I'm not much of a treadmill guy, I stayed with it until the unit's display showed that I had burned at least that much.

Heading to bed absolutely starved,

Lightweight Wannabe

You and I both find the running more part a lot easier than the eating less part, eh?

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:24 am

Gary E wrote:
tutt wrote:You're always 3 steps ahead of me Gary (except in a kayak)...

Just for the record, you suckered me into that sprint challenge. I should have suggested a longer distance.

Oh, and let it be known that I'm lifting weights regularly again so anytime you feel up to a rematch...

Now hang on there Gary, it didn't happen like that... You may think you were "suckered" into that kayaking sprint race but around here we call it "beat fair and square"... And I was just as tired as you were from the long paddle back to camp against the wind and waves so why should we feel sorry for you?

If it's a paddling rematch you want, I'm in... How about we meet up a little closer to your area this time, say the Lower Youghiogheny River in Ohiopyle, PA ? This time the winner will be whoever stays in the raft the entire trip and doesn't drown... How about it Gary?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Week 12 of the new challenge:

Dec 23 - 167.4 / 1.2 gain - It doesn't look like I'll make my 160 goal in 2013.

Total for 12 weeks: 7.8 pounds lost!

I'll be happy if I can stay under 170 into the New Year -  Then I can work on my 160 goal in 2014 Very Happy   Yesterday I helped bake our Christmas Cookies and of course I got to eat any of the broken cookies etc..   Just happy I didn't gain too much.

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:06 pm

tutt wrote:If it's a paddling rematch you want, I'm in... How about we meet up a little closer to your area this time, say the Lower Youghiogheny River in Ohiopyle, PA ? This time the winner will be whoever stays in the raft the entire trip and doesn't drown... How about it Gary?

Been there...done that, you youngster! And in an inner tube not some huge ocean liner with an entire crew like illustrated above.

BTW, who is that buff guy on the far right with the bulging biceps in the pic?
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Gary E wrote:

Been there...done that, you youngster! And in an inner tube not some huge ocean liner with an entire crew like illustrated above.

BTW, who is that buff guy on the far right with the bulging biceps in the pic?

YOUNGSTER??? That's a hoot Gary! At 61 I'm not far behind you and I am OK with inner tubes too if that's the most advanced form of conveyance you're familiar with...

I got put in that raft because I was the only one who had any experience. Every time we got into a tough situation the kids quit paddling and started screaming so I had to steer that ocean liner by myself. It was really hard... We had to rescue 2 of them when they got tossed out in some big rapids.

If you're still feeling spry and want a summer thrill, we could see if anyone else is interested and maybe book a trip. It's pretty close to you, not very expensive, and really is a lot of fun.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Bringing it back to the weight loss topic from the River Rafting/ Kayaking trash talk:

I'm happy to report my final weigh-in of 2013.

Week 13 of the year-end challenge:

Dec 30 - 165.8 / -1.6 loss - a loss in spite of Christmas Pie, Cookies and Candy  Very Happy   (all of which I ate this week but in a limited way)  This may be the lowest weight I've made it to in the last 30+  years!!!    Very Happy    Very Happy    Very Happy      but I'm not done yet - still heading for 160 and maintaining that weight for 2014 and beyond!

Total for 13 weeks: 9.4 pounds lost!

I'll continue to report my weight here for the first Quarter of 2014 Smile   -  Finally,  I'm hopeful that I can lose that last 5.8 pounds over the next 3 months and after several years finally reach the weight goal which I've had in many weight loss challenges but never reached.   If anyone wants to make a weight loss New Years Resolution and join me in reporting your weekly progress, I welcome your company in what has proved to be a tough struggle for many, myself included !

Last edited by DonSoule on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Congrats Don - way to end the year!!! 5.8 pounds left??? You looked really slim in your Christmas photos!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Great work Don!! And you'll get rid of the last 5.8 for sure with your will power.

OK, fair enough. Since bragging about paddling is out on this thread, I'm IN for the next weight loss challenge... Now if we can just get that land lubber Gary to join.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

only semi-pleased with my efforts thus far

Post by Gary E on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:00 pm

I hit the scales at 154.2 this morning (although I was one pound lighter just before the holidays). When I stick to my "calorie counting" I can easily lose a half-pound per week, but I have serious "will-power" issues every couple of days so progress seems rather slow. Anyone know where I can get a muzzle?
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:17 pm

Oops, I forgot it is weigh in day...

Jan 1 I was 171, today 169 but not due to any extraordinary effort on my part. I vary a couple of pounds up or down all the time. I will drop 10 by summer though.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Gary E wrote: Anyone know where I can get a muzzle?

Actually Gary, I'm hoping you don't get a muzzle... You need to start chowing down A LOT if I'm going to have any hope in this weight loss challenge  Twisted Evil

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 am

I can't remember the last time I was in the mid 150s. Probably about 20 years ago when I was doing high mileage runs and lots of triathlons. Now sticking mostly to mid 160s. If I really tried I might be able to get down to about 160 but that would mean more of everything I do now and less food which isn't always that much to begin with.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Just a quick update from me - I was at 164.4 after my run this morning so down for the week Smile
I won't check in next Monday since I won't have my scale at Disney plus I expect I'll be significantly up after eating out all week. Maybe I can recover enough to have a good report the following week!

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top