heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Dave Tuttle Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Frostbite Marathon Relay

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Frostbite Marathon Relay

Post by Rachel August on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Well, frostbite weekend is this Sunday for me……this is a local marathon relay that I’ve been involved in for the past 5 years. As I’ve never really liked the idea of running in unpredictable conditions (mainly the untreated icy back-roads that are a part of this event) I’ve still always managed to be there by somehow getting asked by various different people to just “hang out” with them – so I do and it’s really fun to support my friends! Last year I was “the driver” and “the picture taker person” for a bunch of highly competitive friends and it looks like I’m retaining that honor again this year! There was talk that I would run a leg (their idea of trying to be nice to me) – but I’m bowing out due to the sub-zero temps that are anticipated this year (yes, as a heart patient my friends graciously give me a pass) and you know what – they actually want to run more miles!

This is a short video of our team last year – notice that the roads were nice and dry…going to be a whole different ball game this year….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2X4NogB6Y

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: Frostbite Marathon Relay

Post by Sumorunner on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 pm

We have one in Albany next month, marathon and relay. It's been going on for more than 40 yrs. The relay is 3 legs. The weather conditions have ranged from awful to horrible and the course is a mind numbing 5 loops around the Univ. campus. Some years there have been fewer than 20 people do the full 26.2 but there are always plenty of relay teams to keep them company.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:27 pm

I volunteer at the weather stop for a half marathon here in Feb. for those that came to Syracuse, the runners go out the park road we ran on, and back, then out and back again. So we are the first AND last water stop. Let me tell you, the runners are realty nice to us, and appreciate us handing out water in 0 degree wind chill.....last year we couldn't per fill too many cups or they froze.....
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Earlier comments moved to a new post:

Post by DonSoule on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 pm

I decided to make a new post about the race I'm doing Saturday so deleted my comments from here to use as the new post -  Have fun at the Frostbite Marathon Relay Rachel - whatever you end up doing this year!!! Smile 

Like I said before, in winter races that are really cold - I think the volunteers have it harder than the participants because the runners can generate their own heat and if they dress right can feel comfortable at almost any temperature which I know from experience is not as easy for a volunteer who has out side duties for a long period of time.  So be sure and thank any volunteers for winter races, they're well deserving of the participates praise and thanks Smile 

I don't have the blood thinner issue that was mentioned so I haven't had any probems dressing for any temperature I've encountered.  I have read that cold weather is hard on the heart in general so maybe I should ues more caution but to be honest, as long as I heed the frostbite warnings about no expoused skin, I felt very comfortable running when it was -24F with a -54F WC earlier this year.  I just went 3.2 miles and didn't get farther than 1 mile from home and it was just for my personal record of running in the cold - I was careful that I had no expoused skin and only felt a little cold on the top of my head where I only had 2 layers and no hair Smile  But I just have an low heart rate problem that my pacemaker takes care of and am only on medication for HBP and Colesteral so haven't had the heart issues most of you have dealt with (yet, I do have a family history of the males dieing suddenly from heart problems).  Still, I always dress warm so I'm very warm on my upper body when it's cold out - sometimes overdress and I get too hot so I don't feel like I'm over stressing my heart from the cold weather.

Last edited by DonSoule on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:33 am

Every so often cute event names become no-joke accurate. Be sure to wear that ice fishing costume this year. Hope you have an enjoyable time. I wouldn't even be able to handle the water station. Ever since OHS I have been very intolerant to cold, even in conditions that aren't that extreme. I stand by my "princess" comment.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:17 am

[quote="Billcobit"]Ever since OHS I have been very intolerant to cold, even in conditions that aren't that extreme.  [/quote]

Me too. That's the blood thinner.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:17 am

Brrrrr... You hang out with crazy people Rachel!

Anything under about 15 degrees and I really feel it. Last 6 miler I did at 12deg felt like 10 miles. I'm not going to risk hurting myself... My treadmill has forgiven my absence but I still don't like her.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:05 am

Yeah, I've got mixed feelings about not running.....I do want to run it....maybe....but since I've never actually run this one before I might as well stick with role of the "food/water/hot chocolate and bananas girl" still it's such a fun event - there's a competition for craziest baton before the event - we all pack into our local pub and the organizer stands on the bar and we vote by yelling a lot - in past years some teams have been told to ditch their batons by the Holland Police due to their inappropriate nature - but no one in the bar pre-race ever seems to care about appropriateness - it's pretty funny!

Don I hope you do share your picture if you ever find it!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:30 pm

I was race director for a marathon relay. It sounds like mine was much less successful than the Frostbite Relay. We simply never got enough people to make it a compelling event - only 120 to 150 people each year. For such a small turnout, it was a extremely difficult race to put together. Obviously it is a long race, with a lot of logistics, and it just wan't worth it to continue to put it on.

But the Frostbite Marathon Relay sounds like fun event! Any sometimes horrible weather makes a race more fun, or at least more interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 pm

The Hudson Mohawk RRC winter marathon began in 1974 as a last ditch attempt to qualify for Boston. Yes, it was once possible to get into Boston with a race in Feb. The club designed a winter series beginning in mid December at 15K, then a 13.1 mi on Jan 1, followed every two weeks by a longer one, 25K, 30K & 20 mi, so that by mid Feb. you would be ready for the full 26.2.

It was always small, 25-75 finishers at best. Oftentimes there were more race volunteers than racers. Then in 1987 they added a 3 person relay to pad out the field. It added roughly 50 teams each year. It's still small though, which is primarily due to the weather, and the 5 loop course doesn't give it a broad appeal either. In 2013 we had 76 marathoners and 54 teams.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:21 am

Rachel August wrote:in past years some teams have been told to ditch their batons by the Holland Police due to their inappropriate nature - but no one in the bar pre-race ever seems to care about appropriateness - it's pretty funny!

Dear FWHC&B gal,

Stay warm this weekend, and thanks for revealing what keeps those of us north of the Mason-Dixon line warm during the harsh winters. I am, of course, referring to "our sense of humor"...just in case anyone thought it was something else  Wink .
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks for all the comments everyone! Just got back from an EPIC Frostbite - BEST one yet! Didn't think that I'd make this one because the snow just keeps on falling....but one of my friends called me last night and made arrangements to pick me up! (I was snowed in - again)

And no I didn't run.....the team just wanted me in the car - but that's how we are up here in MI - we all look out for each other because let's face it MI in the winter - by the lake - can be a very cold, dark, and yes miserable place - we all know that - and we do the very best with what we have.....like run in feet (yes, feet - the roads were not plowed) feet of snow in sub-zero temps, high winds and carry inappropriate batons!

And even take on a person who's not running - just because we're friends and we all need to get out, laugh, and enjoy each other's company.

I wouldn't trade the world for what I have here......even if it means that sometimes I'm snowed in and stuck in my house!!!

Gary's right - that's exactly how we stay warm up here!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:34 pm

sounds like a blast.... great that you got to be part of it....retrospective fun!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:45 am

Rachel August wrote: but that's how we are up here in MI - we all look out for each other

Maybe in YOUR part of MI ;-) Glad you enjoyed it. I still haven't been outside since maybe late October or early November...but I am also a notorious wimp and excuse maker.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:05 am

Billcobit wrote:
Rachel August wrote: but that's how we are up here in MI - we all look out for each other

Maybe in YOUR part of MI ;-)  Glad you enjoyed it.  I still haven't been outside since maybe late October or early November...but I am also a notorious wimp and excuse maker.  

Yeah, as you know I grew up near you on the East side of the state - lived there for 35 years before moving to the West side and I agree with you.....unfortunately. It's different over here - we don't have all the stuff - it's more of a small town mentality.

As far as the weather - holy smokes - this is a terrible winter for everyone across the country!!!! I don't think that anyone who stays inside is a wimp!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum