heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Weight Loss Challenge

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weight Loss Challenge

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 am

Trish says We're going to have a weight loss challenge here once we have enough people who want in... I sure need to get in on it.

Where's Gary? I know he'll do it.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: Weight Loss Challenge

Post by kodi30 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 pm

I could definitely lose some.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:02 pm

I need guidance on desirable BMI or body fat % for something like this. Any guidelines Trish?

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 pm

tutt wrote:Where's Gary? I know he'll do it.

For sure!!! I'm currently at 167.3 lbs on a body that has fluctuated between 180 (when playing football as a college freshman) to 138 (when running ultras as a 35 year old). Now that I have more mental maturity that muscular bulk, and my fast-twitch fibers have been replaced by slow-twitch flab...I really, really, need to concentrate on losing weight!!! Sign me up, and berate me severely if I don't change my caloric intake over the next few months.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:51 pm

I have actually lost weight (and inches) over the past few months.
I am now doing low carb which has made a big difference.

I know that is not the diet of choice for runners, but I still think most eat way more carbs than you need....unless you are doing a long distance run within 24 hours.

I had always done low fat....for the past 30 years. And that type of diet served me well until I turned 50. Then the weight go harder to keep off, and the flab started to come on.

Increasing exercise and lowering calories helped, but it was not until I switched over to low carb and high protein/fat....that I had a significant change.

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:56 pm

mikenall wrote:I need guidance on desirable BMI or body fat % for something like this. Any guidelines Trish?

Mike, I have always paid more attention to my body fat % than the scale weight.
If that comes down then you are doing much better. Nobody wants to be "skinny-fat"--(weighing little, but having still having a pot belly and rolls of fat)

This is the Navy body fat extimator. Pretty close to what I would get with calipers.

http://www.webcalcsolutions.com/fitness-calculators/body-fat-navy.asp?acctnum=3

In my opinion a guy should be in the teens for a healthy BF. ( Competitors are usually at 3-5%)
And women should be in the low 20s.
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Thanks Trish, I need liposuction around the center. Smile I come out to be very borderline between fit and acceptable. Seems no matter what I do, I can't get rid of the one roll I have around my waist. Even when I weighed 150 it was there. I do a lot of crunch type exercises and the underlying muscle is hard but it the 'fat' part that won't disappear. I guess I have a new challenge to undertake.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 am

trishb wrote:
Increasing exercise and lowering calories helped, but it was not until I switched over to low carb and high protein/fat....that I had a significant change.

For a good explanation of low carb diets, listen to Gary Taubes on "Why We Get Fat". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUspjZG-wc

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Low Carb makes sense to me. I'm guilty and I've got the stubborn belly fat to prove it. I think I'm going to live on tuna and beans as much as I can and see what happens... What do you think Trish?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:47 am

Trish, I can relate!!! It's been just recently for me that I've been noticing a change in my body - I'm almost 48 and it just seems like I'm eating less and less - exercising more and more but I've noticed more flab and have started watching the weight "creep" up on me.

I hate protein though.....I'd rather eat cereal but I have a sneaking suspicion that my days of "eating like a kid" are way past me now!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:37 pm

tutt wrote:Low Carb makes sense to me. I'm guilty and I've got the stubborn belly fat to prove it. I think I'm going to live on tuna and beans as much as I can and see what happens... What do you think Trish?

Ah....add a lot of veggies to the meals. Tuna, chicken, eggs, nuts....all are really ok.
And lots of green salads...which I would suggest adding proteins to.

Just no sugar, breads, pasta, or rices.......even if they are whole grain. Skip them all for a week and see what happens.
And no fruit for a week or so.

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Rachel August wrote:Trish, I can relate!!! It's been just recently for me that I've been noticing a change in my body - I'm almost 48 and it just seems like I'm eating less and less - exercising more and more but I've noticed more flab and have started watching the weight "creep" up on me.

I hate protein though.....I'd rather eat cereal but I have a sneaking suspicion that my days of "eating like a kid" are way past me now!!!

Rachael, I think you look awesome. So I doubt you need to loose much at all.
In your case, I would 3 days of low carb......and then add some back in for just one meal.
I would also suggest that you add some protein to that cereal. I always add protein powder when I have cereal..
(I like the Syntrax Nectar since it has no carbs at all)
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Thanks Trish! Great idea about the protein powder...I never even thought about doing that...sounds pretty painless. 3 days of low carbs.....I realize it's only 3... but I've got to gear up mentally for that one! I'll let you know how I do.

Rachel

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed May 01, 2013 9:42 am

trishb wrote:

Ah....add a lot of veggies to the meals. Tuna, chicken, eggs, nuts....all are really ok.
And lots of green salads...which I would suggest adding proteins to.

Just no sugar, breads, pasta, or rices.......even if they are whole grain. Skip them all for a week and see what happens.
And no fruit for a week or so.

OK, lots of veggies too. I've never cut the carbs before so this should be interesting... Thanks Trish.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Fri May 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Hey, I lost a whole pound last week. When are we going to start the actual competition?
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun May 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Gary E wrote:Hey, I lost a whole pound last week. When are we going to start the actual competition?

I lost a pound too Gary... 168 today. Lets you and me compare weekly loss (or in your case gain Twisted Evil ) here until we get enough other members to start an official weight loss challenge. Are you in ? What day do you want to report in?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Mon May 13, 2013 12:05 am

I'll be watching you guys. My weight bounces 166-169 regularly. I take lasik for water retention and sometimes it seems to overwork other times doesn't seem to do the job. When it doesn't do the job I'll gain two pounds in one day.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon May 13, 2013 4:53 pm

kodi30 wrote:I'll be watching you guys. My weight bounces 166-169 regularly. I take lasik for water retention and sometimes it seems to overwork other times doesn't seem to do the job. When it doesn't do the job I'll gain two pounds in one day.

Hey Mel, you can join this informal weight loss rivalry between Gary and I too... Just say the word and you're in.

I'm in but it might take Gary a few days to catch up to this post He'll jump right in though, he can't pass up a challenge.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Mon May 13, 2013 5:24 pm

All you guys in the 160's complaining about being heavy don't know what heavy really is. I'm 5'6" and currently 211. A few years ago it was 250. Now, that's big and of course, the reason I got the Sumo tag. I've been fighting this weight thing for over 20 years and have to work hard just to stay the same.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Mon May 13, 2013 8:37 pm

tutt wrote:I'm in but it might take Gary a few days to catch up to this post He'll jump right in though, he can't pass up a challenge.

Hooray, I've finally got an evening off and will try and catch up with all the banter. One good thing about my summer work is I get to eat for free. Even better is the serving size of the offerings is much smaller than I would normally order at a fast-food establishment. Because of that (and being on my feet constantly) is that I'm now at 164.9 and hopefully the downward trend will continue.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd check in and report on my recent progress - challenge or no challenge I might just start posting my weekly results here for a little added motivation.  

After spending the last 3 months of 2012 and most of 2013 gaining weight,  Crying or Very sad  - I finally made a real commitment to losing it about 5 weeks ago.   My main goal is losing so I can run my Marathons a little faster starting with one I have planned in WI (Whistlestop Marathon) on Oct 12th.   I ran Grandma's Marathon June 22nd in Duluth when I was over 200 lbs  and that was my first and I hope only +200 lb marathon!  

What ever needed to click finally did and I've been counting calories - training for my October Marathon and losing successfully for a little over 5 weeks now.   Here are my weekly results:

July 15  -  202  - starting weight
July  22 -  194.2  -   7.8 first week loss (almost like the biggest loser show - well not really)
July  29 -  192.2   -  2.0 loss   (my goal 2lbs per week)
Aug  05 -  190.0   -  2.2 loss
Aug  12 -  188.0   -  2.0 loss (yeah into the 180's Smile  )
Aug  19 -  186.6   -  1.4 loss

Total for 5 weeks:   15.4 pounds lost

I made the mistake of mentioning to one of the coaches of a Marathon training group I'm in that I was losing weight and she wasn't pleased and strongly encouraged me to just maintain my current weight and fuel more for my training -  she said I could lose weight after my marathon (well that won't work since I'm always training for a marathon)  -  Anyway I listened and strategically carb loaded for last weekends 20 miler -  (still lost the 1.4 lbs)  -  I'm tempted to bring a 25 lb bag of cat litter (we have two cats) to our next long run session and politely suggest she carry it on her long run and then let me know if she thinks I might benefit for losing a little weight before running my next marathon or not.  Twisted Evil
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

maybe I should only think about this topic every three months.

Post by Gary E on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:31 pm

I'd completely forgotten about this challenge until I got an email notification just now.  Since I last posted, I've been gradually upping my running mileage (currently about 38 mpw), am at the very top rung of the yearly swimming leaderboard (although should be passed tomorrow), and now weigh 157 lbs!!! Very Happy

Last edited by Gary E on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : just noticed this egregous typo (10 lb difference) in my weight.)
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:06 pm

I forgot too. I haven't really been trying to lose but wouldn't hurt if I did lose a few. I've been maintaining 166-168 for over a year. I'm always doing something and am not a big eater so not sure why I don't lose. I've been doing weights along with running so I rationalize I gaining muscle weight while losing fat weight LOL!!!!

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:49 am

Wow Gary and Don you guys are doing GREAT!!

I didn't forget about this challenge, I just haven't lost any weight... No will power Sad

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:38 pm

DonSoule wrote:
Here are my weekly results:

July 15  -  202  - starting weight
July  22 -  194.2  -   7.8 first week loss (almost like the biggest loser show - well not really)
July  29 -  192.2   -  2.0 loss   (my goal 2lbs per week)
Aug  05 -  190.0   -  2.2 loss
Aug  12 -  188.0   -  2.0 loss (yeah into the 180's Smile  )
Aug  19 -  186.6   -  1.4 loss

Total for 5 weeks:   15.4 pounds lost
Week 6 for me:

Aug 26 -  184.0   -  2.6 loss

Total for 6 weeks:   18.0 pounds lost Very Happy
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next