heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Dave Tuttle Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Russ Running 2014

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Russ Running 2014

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:27 pm

VERY nice article Russ and I liked how you ended the interview with encouragement for other heart patients!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Great article Russ!!  I liked your response to this question:

What one tip would you pass on to people
running an Ultra for the first time?

"It will get painful, but that pain won’t get any
worse if you just keep on running – it won’t get any
better either, but the sooner you finish the sooner
you will be able to stop."

Made me laugh  Laughing

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:25 am

Great story Russ. And great photos along with it.

I did not realize that you had been a competitive walker in your youth. Do you think that helps in the 100 mile events? Do you do much walking during those events?

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:05 pm

Excellent article Russ!!! Seriously call me - I'll be your agent for free!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks all.

To be honest I just sent the editor of the magazine some notes and meant to flesh out the details later, and they just used my text so it does read a little over-abbreviated to me. Still, nice to be featured and I wanted to give a heads-up to all you guys who inspire me too.

And yes, Brian - the walking does help. I have a bit of a reputation with my regular walking speed at events - not race walking any more, but I can still maintain around 12 to 13 minute miles walking, and toward the end of a 100 miler that means I can actually walk faster than many others are running. Even when I ran the Comrades I managed to take regular walk breaks throughout and walk all the uphills but still average close to 9 minute miles for the full 56 miles.
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:15 am

Enjoyed the read and the photos. Fantastic!!!
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi Again,

Quick update. Training has been going well for my upcoming long ultras - the first big target is the Grand Union Canal Race on 24th May. Been out and done a couple of recce runs on the course, have covered the first 90 miles, going out to take a look at another 32 or so next week, then I think I'll be pretty much ready. Navigation isn't really a problem (after all it does follow a canal all the way from Birmingham to London  Cool  ), but I want to be able to visualise the course section by section as I run it.

I ran the South Downs Way 50 mile trail race yesterday as another training run - the intention was to run it 'hard steady' in around eight and a half hours. The course is hilly and all off road - 4800 feet of ascent and 50 miles. The weather was mild, warm at times, breezy, cloudy and a little light rain here and there. I had had a very heavy cold all week and felt pretty awful going into the race, but didn't plan to run too hard and hoped to cope with it as just one of those things.

I set out running with a friend, Ken, for the first section - at Checkpoint 1 we were told we were around 20 minutes behind another team mate, Mich who had gone out very fast (like 85 minutes at 11 miles fast  Shocked  ). At around 14 miles, Ken was struggling a little so we agreed that I should move on ahead and run at my own comfortable pace. I kept it steady to 20, and felt good so picked up a little in a bit of a 'cruise' mode to half way, 25 miles in around 4:05. At the checkpoint at 33 miles I met up with a couple of team mates who were out supporting there, and they told me Mich was now 13 minutes ahead and encouraged me to give chase - I had 13 minutes to catch up over 17 very hilly miles, so I cracked on to see how close I could get.

I still felt pretty comfortable, walked the steep hills and ran strong on the lesser inclines and the flat, and I was overtaking a lot of other runners who had set out quicker in the first half. I eventually finished 30th overall from 350 runners in 7 hours 57 minutes 11 seconds - 3 minutes behind Mich, who had a great run. Mind you, I managed a negative split over the tougher second half of the race, so I'm not complaining - a good day out and it felt pretty comfortable all the way.

Next up is a training run round the Bergen Marathon in Norway in a couple of weeks, then I'll be buddying a team mate for the second 50 miles of the Thames Path 100 miles, and tapering for the big day at GUCR. A few longish training runs planned too, won't be tapering much until the second week of May.
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Congratulation on the 50 miler - a negative split over that distance with all the elevation WOW - I know you were running the first part at an "easy" pace but that's still amazing to me  Very Happy

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 am

Amazing stuff Russ!! You've have to get over here for a race one day.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:36 am

Incredible Russ!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Don't know how the guy does it, but I sure do admire his ambition and tenacity. It only took me a single 100k to realize I don't have that kind of drive or stamina.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:35 am

I really like the idea of running training races. And to have someone to catch kept things interesting for you even at mile 45 I am sure. Congrats on a super finish and here's to good health until race day!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:37 pm

I am glad to see you are still able to run a couple of miles.   Very Happy   

I just googled the GUCR.   145 miles.  
Seriously??? Rolling Eyes 

You still are one crazy Brit.    
Cute, but crazy.    Wink

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks Trish!  Cool Cool 

Just got home from Norway, ran the Bergen Marathon on Saturday morning - two laps including a big climb around the front of one of the surrounding mountains on gravel tracks, total 3700+ feet of ascent overall. Ran as a training race, target 3:30, finished in 3:30:12 but felt quite tough on the second lap. Last big effort before the GUCR in four weeks!
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Thu May 29, 2014 8:22 am

Hi All, race report from GUCR - did not go to plan sadly!

I travelled up to Birmingham on Friday 23rd May with my crew for the race, Iaan. Took a lot longer due to traffic problems but we got to registration and collected our instructions, race t shirt, key for toilets on the canal (!) etc then met a few of the other competitors in the pub next door for a drink and some food. Stayed overnight in a hotel right around the corner from the start and got everything ready to rock and roll for the 6am start time.

Up at 4:45am for a pot of porridge and a cup of tea, then round the corner to the start. It was a cool and grey day, cloudy and overcast with heavy rain forecast. I set off at a jog alongside course record holder and 5 times winner Pat Robbins and had a chat with him for the first few miles - two guys had gone off very fast and were out of sight, with another group following them, but Pat wasn't phased at all and just followed his natural rhythm (he eventually won the race, again, in 26 hours 20 minutes for the 145 miles, running at the same steady pace all the way through day and night, reeling in the front runners as they all slowed down).

I found the going quite hard when the rain, thunder and lightning started up big time, with lots of deep puddles and standing water, overgrown bushes etc all slowing my progress. I met Iaan at 10 miles then 17, and arranged for him to get me a bacon roll and a cup of tea for a stop at 22.5 miles which worked out well. went through the marathon distance in around 4:15 and plodded on, hitting a bit of a bad patch between 30 and 40 miles, so I was looking forward to another decent stop at 49 miles where I could change my kit and get some dry shoes and socks on. That worked out fine and even with a 10-15 minute change at that checkpoint I went through 50 miles in under 9 hours so had come back on track a little against my original pace plans.

The next 45 miles went very well - the rain eased off and I ran strong, picking up the first of my 'run buddies' at 66 miles (Iaan - two others, Martin and Russ, had joined him and taken over the car duties). I pressed on - averaging around 10 minute miles, with one road section even sub 9's which felt good. We changed to a second buddy at 81 miles, and again at 97. I had some tightness/cramp in my calf at this point and decided to shift to a walk for a while - though I was still managing around 13 minute miles walking so kept my place quite consistently.

I went through 85 miles in under 16 hours and even with the walk I went through the 100 in under 19 hours, so things were going fairly well and I had pulled back up the field to 7th place. To be honest, that was probably my undoing - focussing too much on chasing and staying ahead of other runners, I declined the chance to change to my night kit of tights, thermal, hat and rain jacket etc and pressed on, aiming to consolidate my position and get changed at the next checkpoint at 108 miles.

At around 106 miles I quickly felt very cold, dizzy and light-headed and told my buddy Martin that I was going to stop and sort myself out for a minute. The next thing I knew I woke up on the ground with a group of people wrapping me in coats etc and asking me if I knew where, or who, I was! Apparently I'd hit the ground face-first and was covered in blood and they had called an ambulance. I spent around 30 minutes on the ground waiting for the paramedics, then another 45 minutes in the ambulance with the heaters on as they tried to get me stable again. Blood pressure was low (well, it is normally anyway but had dropped further I think) and core temperature was down to around 35 degrees.

Meanwhile my crew phoned the Race HQ and withdrew me from the race - obviously I'm gutted not to finish, but I guess I have learnt a lot and I'm pleased with some aspects of the run in any case to the point of collapse (!). I guess 20 hours running soaking wet in shorts and long sleeve top, going into a cold night and slowing down to a walk was enough to knock me over, so I need to take a bit more care in future  Sad   Embarassed 

Just been for an emergency pacemaker check at the hospital, all ok nothing showing from the weekend. As ever, a lot of "cardiac episodes" recorded, 150+ since last October - but since that is defined as any time that my HR exceeded 150bpm I know the 'cause' nowadays! They said the longest 'episode' was 3.5 hours, and I said "was that at 7am on 26th April by any chance?" Yes it was - the Bergen Marathon, Norway where I ran 3:30:11. Nice to know it's that accurate at keeping records  Very Happy 

So, onwards and upwards. Getting back into training at the weekend hopefully then I have the Trailwalker 100km in July and building up for Spartathlon 153 miles in September.
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Thu May 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Nice!  You have a built in training log!  How super hero of you!  Great report!
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri May 30, 2014 7:16 am

Great effort Russ!

Seems like no matter how much running we have under our belts we're always learning.

Glad the pacer check went well.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:08 am

Russ, Russ, Russ.   Shocked 

I really do hope you come over the pond sometime to join one of the HEART relays.  

I am going to put a rope around you and tether you to me.

Then you'll get the meaning of "slow down".   Rolling Eyes 

You just ain't normal in the head.  
No other explanation, I can think of.    Very Happy 

Glad you are doing ok, Sweetie.   But I know you probably learned nothing and would do the same thing again....and again.  
Afterall, you are RUSS!!      

(Did I nag you enough?)

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:48 am

Plenty enough nagging thanks Trish!  Rolling Eyes 

I'm fine, really, and yes I would, and will, do it all again - though I'll try to manage things so I don't hit the deck next time, promise. I've recovered/healed pretty well and I'm gradually getting back to some running - no racing for the next couple of months other than a team 100km (62.5 mile) trail race in July, so plenty of time to get back on my feet.

I definitely want to get over the pond to meet up with you guys - happy to be roped to you Trish, though you do realise we won't be doing the relay don't you? If there is an ultra option even better  Very Happy 

Thanks as ever for being my American Mom x
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:27 am

Yeah, I know what you mean - around 106 miles of driving in my car I too can get cold, dizzy and lightheaded......

Oh - sorry - you of course were running.....

RUSS!!!!! I'm so glad you're okay - well as Trish says: you're "okay"

I also hope that you can make it over here - would be great to meet you in person!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:20 pm

GUCR around 53 miles, a rare glimpse of sunshine and it stopped raining briefly!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/1511203_10154268156800179_9142722315672387703_n.jpg
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:53 pm

Looking great in the pic!

You want sunshine.....come on over.
We got way too much of it nowdays.  sunny 

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Long time since I've updated my thread here sorry!

Off to Greece on Wednesday for Spartathlon - 153 miles of hills, with a mountain to get over at around 100 miles, 153 miles with a 36 hour cut-off. It's going to be tough, very tough, but I'll give it my best shot.

Fingers crossed there will be a celebratory race report in a couple of weeks when I've got home and recovered enough to type!

Russ
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Good Luck at the Spartathlon Russ, looking forward to hearing your results.

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:47 pm

That is quite a race! Have a great one in Greece!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum