heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Dave Tuttle Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

First Run 10K

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Run 10K

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Since Cardiac Athletes has been gone for awhile with no sign of if or when it will be coming back, I thought I would join in here. I had heard there was another forum or two for heart patients who run, but it took a lot of hunting to find this one!

I took all of 2013 off with an unsuccessful foot surgery. Not running also caused some scary heart symptoms - very similar but much more mild that what I had with my heart attack in 2011. I thought maybe my stent was closing up, but it seems to be fine. But it was definitely time to start getting some exercise again.

This 10K on January 1st was the last race I did on 1/1/2013 before hanging up my shoes. It seemed like a good one to test the waters again a year later. The weather was nearly perfect - about 40 degrees, very light wind, and dry. I had done been doing some running leading up to this, but I had no idea how fit I was. I kept the warmup to a minimum to save as much as possible for the race itself.

The start was a real shock. People were blowing by me like I was standing still. I started back a little at the line, and I felt like I was starting out way too fast, but still little kids and old women were passing me and powering away. Fortunately it turned out the main problem wasn't that I couldn't physically maintain that fast of a pace, just after a year of not doing it I wasn't used to moving that fast. By the mile, many of the fast starters had come back, and I was catching the runners who split off for the 5K.

I hit my watch at each mile marker, but I didn't look at the time. Fast or slow, I didn't want to know - at least not during the race. By 2 miles I was all alone. The leader was already a minute ahead, but the pack behind had fallen a comfortable distance back. I had clearly gone out faster than I could survive for another 4.2 miles, so I slowed down to a tempo run effort. I was able to regroup well enough to pick it back up a little the last 2 miles.

I was very surprised to hit the line in 36:16. That was good enough for 2nd overall in an admittedly weak race. Also surprising was checking my splits afterwards. In spite of my perception of running the first 2 miles super fast, then 2 miles slow, and then 2 miles a bit faster, my mile splits were amazingly even. 5:51, 5:51, 5:56, 5:53, 5:50, 5:50.

I was quite sore for a week after this one, but my surgically rebuilt right foot and my bad left achilles held up pretty well. No heart issues either, in spite of running quite a bit faster than probably I should have. Next up is to ramp up the training and pick another race.
EugeneRunner

Back to top Go down

Re: First Run 10K

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Wow! That is an awesome run. Glad you found us over here, hope you will stay awhile and participate.  Are you doing anything the weekend of March 14 - 17 in Cincy?  How about October in Grand Rapids on October 19th?

I'm not shy, rolling out the HEART welcome mat to you!  Very Happy   Very Happy   Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:44 pm

Welcome to HEART EugeneRunner, glad you found us!! And welcome back to running too!

Having to take ALL of 2013 off running had to be really depressing... Add the failed foot surgery and heart symptoms and that IS a tough year.

Great work on that come back 10K! What a way to start out the new year.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:29 am

Welcome! I wondered about your hiatus at CA. It's good to see that you're back and running again at a blistering pace, even with some rusty legs. Well done on the 10K. Glad you found us.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:46 am

Great to read this, a return to racing and an impressive effort. Onwards and upwards from here I hope!
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:13 am

So great to hear from you!!! Sorry about that foot surgery but doesn’t sound like it held you back (even if its been a year) – A WHOLE YEAR.... with a time like that!!!! You’re amazing!!!

Welcome to the HEART forum - I’m so very glad you found us – I miss hearing about how you’re doing!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:24 pm

LMRun wrote:Are you doing anything the weekend of March 14 - 17 in Cincy?  How about October in Grand Rapids on October 19th?

March 14 won't work, but Grand Rapids might be an option. I should be fit by then, and I don't have any races scheduled for the fall. The half marathon there looks attractive. I like how you run with the marathoners for the first 9 miles. I can really only afford to travel to one event per year, so it is just a question of if that is the one I should pick. I'm thinking also of going to NC for the masters track national championships, and I probably couldn't do both.
EugeneRunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:18 pm

EugeneRunner wrote:March 14 won't work, but Grand Rapids might be an option.  I should be fit by then, and I don't have any races scheduled for the fall.  The half marathon there looks attractive.  I like how you run with the marathoners for the first 9 miles.  I can really only afford to travel to one event per year, so it is just a question of if that is the one I should pick.  I'm thinking also of going to NC for the masters track national championships, and I probably couldn't do both.

We are not sure yet on Grand Rapids also, our daughter is in college.....Cincy just seems like a whole lot of fun and so this year we are going to do it.  

Whatever race or event you choose, you are going to smoke 'em.   Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Congratulations on unbelievable first effort

Post by Gary E on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Wow, is it good to hear from you ER (won't divulge your first name until you give the okay, but it seems more common to do so on this site than the other). I just knew you would recover well and be back to your unbelievable performances sometime this year...but never did I expect it to be so quickly or dramatically done. And, in your typical fashion, you always seem to underestimate your fitness level and talent.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum