heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Don at WDW Goofy Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Don at WDW Goofy Challenge

Post by Tom price on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:24 pm

I have been keeping up with the results at DisneyWorld this weekend...lots of friends running there. I even have one doing the inaugural Dumbo challenge: 5k Thursday, 10k Friday, half on Saturday and full on Sunday.
Anyway, Don has finished his Goofy challenge!! His half was 2:58 and full today was 5:16 chip times.
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Re: Don at WDW Goofy Challenge

Post by kodi30 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks Tom, Why didn't you do it, you have in the past. Smile Good times for Don and smart move, slow on the half and saved energy for the full. Both good times.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Seriously thinking about doing the Dumbo challenge next year....4 races in 4 days....
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Congratulations Don!!! Great accomplishment!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Nice work.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:19 am

Really great running Don!!!! Sounds like you had a blast!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:41 am

a blast and some relief from winter. Well done, Don!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:43 am

Well done Don!
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Thanks-you Tom for posting my results here  Very Happy  - Since I'm not very good at getting online and reporting except on LogARun.  

I had a great week at Disney - it was a nice break from my MN winter going from almost a week below 0F to being able to run in shorts and a T-shirt  Very Happy   -   As Tom mentioned I was an official Goofy finisher.  I ran the half with a couple of friends from MN - A young guy who had recently gotten out of the Marines, Andy and his Dad George Liss.  I knew they hadn't done much training so the day before at our pasta Lunch in Epcot's Italy restaurant I asked them what their longest run in the past 3 months had been - Andy's answer was "less than 1 mile"  - and George's was "about 6 miles" -  Since I've been doing at least a 20 miler every other week for the past 3 months (except for 13 miles two weeks ago) I felt much more prepared than they were.  I know I couldn't do the Goofy on there "training"  but good luck to them!  

We started the half in corral "L" so didn't start our race until about 45 min's after corral "A" took off -  it went well, Andy got a lot of crowd support in his "Captain America" outfit - no shirt and red, white and blue skimpy flag shorts. All the teenage girls along the course cheered loudly for him.  In spite of his non existent training, Andy  didn't have any problems with our easy walk/run pace.  We stopped in front of the Magic Kingdom Castle for a photo but didn't at the many character stops. I wore a 3 Hr pacing band so I could let Andy know how close we were to our 3 Hr goal at each mile marker and he kept his Dad going giving him tips etc to keep moving forward on pace. George struggled keeping up in the last few miles but we did it.   Especially with all the Dopey and Goofy runners saving themselves for the Marathon,  we still came in ahead of about 8,000 participants in the Half Marathon with our 2 Hr 58 min time.

For the Full Marathon, I decided to run with the Clif Bar 5 Hr Pace group so started in the Corral they were in - Corral "J" and let Andy and George go it on their own.  The pace team leader Marie is someone I have run with before at Twin Cities and Grandma's - she does a great job of staying on pace and keeping everyone distracted with her many stories and running tips.  I made it to mile 20 with the group in spite of a port-a-potty stop and one picture stop which I ran ahead to get to so I wouldn't get too far behind.  I was hoping to make it the whole way and even get a little ahead for a sub 5 hr time but it didn't work out that way.  I guess even a slow Half took too much out of me the day before and I slowed significantly in the last 10 K for a 5 Hr 16 Min 41 Sec time.  Even with that slow a time which would put me at the end of most smaller marathons, I came in the top half of the finishers with over 10 thousand participants finishing behind me. Very Happy  This has got to have one of the largest number of over 6 HR Marathon finishers you can find so if you're a slow runner and want a lot of company to finish with,  this is the race to do!   I was amazed to see my friends Andy and especially George finish in 6 Hrs and 10 mins (I didn't think George would be able to finish it after the half the day before but he did somehow)  -  They didn't even have a slow down in the second half running both half's in 3 Hrs 5 mins -  They even stopped in Animal Kingdom and rode the Expedition Everest roller coaster -  ?????  Wow Very Happy - well done George and Andy!!!

Now back to the reality of running in sub zero wind chill temperatures on my Polar Bear group run on Saturday and a single digit Saint Paul Winter Carnival Half Marathon for my next race on Jan 25th.

PS - Almost forgot to mention,  I did my own un-official Dopey Challenge by running my own 5 K and 10 K running around my resort loops parking lots and lagoon on the mornings that the Disney World 5 K and new 10 K were taking place - I bought myself an "I Did It"  2014 Dopey Challenge T-Shirt at the Expo to commemorate my accomplishment - so I went into the Marathon just as tired as the 8,000 official Dopey Challenge runners  Very Happy

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 pm

You are truly amazing, Don!!! Just reading about all this makes me wish I could do something like that. Considering that people have called me "goofy" or "dopey" for most of my life, I figure I should get in for free.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:45 pm

Awesome job! I can't imagine running a marathon after a half marathon. Doing that after a 5K and 10K is even more incredible. Congratulations!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:45 pm

What a great couple of runs Don - just amazing!!! So glad you had such a wonderful time - and love the pictures you posted on FB!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Way to go Don. Back to back long runs is a whole new animal and hard to predict. Congrats on your finish!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Great job Don! I heard lots of positive talk about the news 10k....not the one you ran, the official one :-). You ran the news marathon course they came up with last year to celebrate the 20th...those 3 miles around all the fields at Wide a World of Sports are new, and hot, and boring....I slowed down there and could not get it back....hate that part.
Glad you had fun....it is a fun weekend!
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum