heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Tutt's Training journal

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tutt's Training journal

Post by LMRun on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Have you looked into Synvisc?  Indication: Synvisc-One® (hylan G-F 20) is indicated for the treatment of pain in osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee in patients who have failed to respond adequately to conservative non-pharmacologic therapy and simple analgesics, e.g., acetaminophen.

Synvisc-One Official Site

A lady at work told me about this, her mother got the injections because of chronic knee pain and it worked for her after the second injection.  An Orthopedic doctor at TX Orthopedics does these.  My Dave is considering this for his knee.

One of the questions:  

I love to run, but my husband who has arthritis says if I keep running I’ll end up with arthritis, too. Is that true?

Dr. DiNubile: As an orthopaedic surgeon, I'm often asked if running causes arthritis. Pounding the pavement, mile after mile, year after year — you'd think it would cause wear on your hips and knees, just the way tires on your car wear out as the miles accumulate.

The truth is that running does not cause osteoarthritis in healthy knees. Now, runners are usually very glad to hear that statement, until they hear my next one: If you have osteoarthritis, running will make it worse.

Running is a high-impact activity generating forces 5-7 times body weight on your knees and hips. If you already have osteoarthritis, it will accelerate the wear, damaging your joints further. If you have osteoarthritis and are overweight while pounding the pavement, you are even more likely to worsen the wear process.

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:03 am

Tom, let me know if Dee finds that silver bullet... I'll be getting my bike out soon too.

You're right about the running shoes Trish, I do need a new pair... I dug out an old pair with more cushioning about a month ago and they may be responsible for the recent improvement I think I'm seeing.

Thanks for the info Louise. I hadn't heard of Synvisc- one. I'll save the link... Some kind of injection will probably be the next step if it starts getting worse.

"Running is a high-impact activity generating forces 5-7 times body weight on your knees and hips. If you already have osteoarthritis, it will accelerate the wear, damaging your joints further. If you have osteoarthritis and are overweight while pounding the pavement, you are even more likely to worsen the wear process."

That is the reality of it no doubt. I've got to drop 10 pounds... Now that the weather is improving hopefully I will.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:59 am

10 pounds would make big difference....really.

If you are serious, you can't just depend on running every day to do that. Although exercise if a big key to weight loss, of course.

But your body will adapt to the same run, day in and day out.
Mix it up a bit.
With HIIT training, you will see much better weight loss results.
Walk a few minutes, Jog a few, slow run a few, then all out sprint for 1 minute....bring it back down, and start again.
Do this for no more than 3 - 4 rounds

And, there is the food. If you take in more calories than you burn off, then no matter what the food is...you are not going to lose.

I use Fitnesspal.com to keep track.
Just doing that for a couple of weeks will give you a great idea of where the problems may be.

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:14 am

You're right Trish I'm not pushing myself very hard with my current running routine and I'm sure that is a big part of my not losing wight. I hadn't thought of HIIT but if my knee can take it it might be a good time to start... I'll give it a try and see what happens as soon as I can Crying or Very sad... My foot and leg went through the barn floor yesterday and all my weight came down on the knee at a bad angle. Lots of swelling and black and blue but I don't think there's any real damage fortunately. I might try a few miles on it this morning to see if it still works.

I joined the fitnesspal site and got it all set up too. It's worth a try, I never tracked myself like that before but I can see where it would be good to do. If I can figure out the calories in my meals accurately it will be pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the suggestions Trish!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:51 am

Dave Tuttle wrote:
I joined the fitnesspal site and got it all set up too. It's worth a try, I never tracked myself like that before but I can see where it would be good to do. If I can figure out the calories in my meals accurately it will be pretty straight forward.

No personal experience but I know people who use MFP very successfully. Good suggestion, Trish!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:56 pm

Dave Tuttle wrote: My foot and leg went through the barn floor yesterday and all my weight came down on the knee at a bad angle. Lots of swelling and black and blue but I don't think there's any real damage fortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions Trish!

Oh my! The hurts me just thinking about it!
You are lucky you did not break it.

Glad you got set up with fitnesspal! If you are like me, I pretty much eat the same food each week. So it gets easier to just look at "recent" and click on a repeat. And it knows the brand names of everything out there.
Plus tons of restaurant foods, if you go out.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT!

And hope that knee holds out!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Just what you didn't need. Hope you recover quickly.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:37 pm

What were you doing in the barn? It's not hay season....I hope you heal quickly so you can get back to exercise.

Thanks to you and Trish, I am looking into the fitnesspal.com too.

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:31 am

LMRun wrote:What were you doing in the barn? It's not hay season.... 

Selling hay... The barn is almost empty now and the floor is exposed again. I won't do that again  affraid  I was real lucky, no damage and I'm running but I've never been so black and blue.

I'm learning quite a bit about my diet on the myfitnesspal site and my garmin uploads to it and gives me extra calories whenever I run.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:31 pm

Dave Tuttle wrote:

I'm learning quite a bit about my diet on the myfitnesspal site and my garmin uploads to it and gives me extra calories whenever I run.

I love getting those " you earned XXX extra calories because you exercised" notices!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:55 pm

trishb wrote:
I love getting those " you earned XXX extra calories because you exercised" notices!

Me too Trish (BTW, your numbers are looking really good!!) but I'm learning that I eat too much on my non running days. I'm fine when I run but the off days are killing me... I would much rather ramp it up than starve myself so I know what I need to do.

Last week's numbers:

Weight- 171 No change

Sun- 4mi

Tue- 4mi

Thurs- 4mi

Sat- 6mi

Total- 18mi up 6 from previous week.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Not bad - glad your knee seems to be cooperating.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:30 pm

I'm posting this early because I'll have limited computer access for a few days. I only ran 3 days last week but did bump up the distance with no problems. The recently injured left leg is still swollen but improving and my ongoing problem right knee is pretty good with only minor funkiness and it might actually be improving too so I'm beginning to think there may be hope for it.  

Not much weight loss yet but I am learning a lot about my diet by tracking everything I eat on the myfitnesspal.com site. I was surprised by how little cholesterol I take in... I work at limiting it but didn't think it was as good as it is. I was also surprised at how low my daily protein numbers were and have turned that around already. It's been an eye opener for sure and I think I'll stick with it at least until I permanently settle into a better diet and it becomes habit. It takes a little time to enter your meals/foods at first but once they're in there you can copy them if you have the same thing again so it gets easier the longer you're at it.    

Weight: 170

Gain/loss:  -1 pound

Tue 4/14: 4 mi

Thurs 4/16: 6 mi

Sat 4/18: 6 mi

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:00 am

Losing a pound is great. Even better is realizing what you eat makes a huge difference....(not how much).

I am so happy that your knee and leg are a little better. Small improvements are always good!

Good job!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:10 pm

I doubt there was any progress last week and I never even got on a scale. We just got back from a week on the beach in Florida and I was very ready for some warm weather. My diet was not very good and I didn't log any of it. I only ran 3 miles on the beach and decided to stop after that run. The swelling in my recently injured left knee finally went down enough for me to feel what I think is a rather large chunk of bone that is loose and seems to be in the wrong place. It hasn't hurt to run but now feels like something sharp is in there... X ray tomorrow.

I'll get back on the diet tomorrow and run once I get the Doctors OK.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:25 pm

I think feeling a large chunk of loose bone in my knee would shut me down immediately. Hope you enjoyed the trip.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:14 am

Dave Tuttle wrote:I doubt there was any progress last week and I never even got on a scale.

Don't get on the scale, I did and I was not happy with the number.  Watch your salt, my #1 enemy.

Dave Tuttle wrote:We just got back from a week on the beach in Florida and I was very ready for some warm weather. My diet was not very good and I didn't log any of it. I only ran 3 miles on the beach and decided to stop after that run.

Diet is not supposed to be good when on vacation, you're supposed to be a lounge lizard on the beach, run at home.   Wink

Dave Tuttle wrote:The swelling in my recently injured left knee finally went down enough for me to feel what I think is a rather large chunk of bone that is loose and seems to be in the wrong place. It hasn't hurt to run but now feels like something sharp is in there... X ray tomorrow. I'll get back on the diet tomorrow and run once I get the Doctors OK.

I hope your knee is ok, you're starting to sound like me, always something going on.

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:22 pm

Dave,

So sorry to hear about your knee DAMN! You need a break for sure – hope that this is fixable – thinking of you as you find out today!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:58 am

Thanks everyone!

Waiting for the results...

NP wasn't too concerned since there isn't any significant pain.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Hoping for a good report. And make sure you get back on track with the diet!
You can't use the knee as an excuse for that! Smile

Keep us posted!!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:28 am

trishb wrote:   And make sure you get back on track with the diet!    
You can't use the knee as an excuse for that!  Smile

What? No excuses??? I never saw that in the fine print Shocked

Thanks Sarge, I'm back on the diet with 2 extra pounds to get rid of now.

My X ray showed no broken bones... I'm not sure what that knot on the side of my knee is but the Doc isn't too concerned and it doesn't hurt so I'm back to running again Very Happy

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:16 am

GOOD NEWS!! Enjoy the run!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:46 pm

Great to hear Dave!

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Glad to read your knee is ok, maybe the knot is swelling and will go away with time. Yay to running again! Smile

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:51 pm

[quote="Dave Tuttle"]
trishb wrote:  
My X ray showed no broken bones... I'm not sure what that knot on the side of my knee is but the Doc isn't too concerned and it doesn't hurt so I'm back to running again Very Happy

Great news - and just in time to enjoy nice spring weather!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum