heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Dave Tuttle Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Tutt's Training journal

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tutt's Training journal

Post by trishb on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Moving 8 tons of firewood would exhaust anyone.
No doubt you were too tired to get a couple runs in.

Make sure you allow plenty of time to rest before you head to Syracuse!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks Trish, I am on track to be able to take it easy next week... I got way behind this summer due to all the rain and I've had to really scramble to get caught up.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Recovery mode

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Taking inspiration from Dave's activity list...felled, bucked, split and stacked a cord of firewood today in lieu of a recovery run...much more gratifying than a spin around the block. Thanks Dave! (I'm passing on haying for now)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:58 pm

I haven't updated this journal in a long time mainly because since Syracuse I haven't really been training for anything, just trying to maintain... Now it's week 3 of our deer season and also the last week. For the first 2 weeks I hunted hard and hardly ran but this week I decided I needed to be productive again... I've neglected my fitness and several important projects for too long now so I started ramping up the running again and the projects too. Winter running around here is pretty tough and unfortunately I burned out on the treadmill several years ago so it helps to have something to keep me motivated and heading out the door to run when it's crappy out there. The Heart Mini in March is just the goal I need! My plan is to push through the winter months with weekly mileage in the mid 20s and with a long run of at least 10 miles most weeks... And as long as I'm setting goals I might as well put it down here that I'm going to drop that extra 10 pounds before Cincinnati too. I've been carrying it around way too long and it's gotta go!

Well there it is... Now I have to do it!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Dave,
Sounds like a plan to me. I am sure that you will do fine. You are right about the motivation. Reading about your dedication to a plan makes me want to train harder so that you do not out do me in cincy Very Happy
kevin

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Good for you Dave!!! Cinci is a perfect motivation!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:18 pm

tutt wrote:My plan is to push through the winter months with weekly mileage in the mid 20s and with a long run of at least 10 miles most weeks!

Good for you, Dave. I am so far sticking with my plan (less ambitious than yours - my "long" run is currently only 7 miles). I too am using Cinci as a motivator.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Well, the last week was pretty disappointing but that's only one week and the main reason I'm posting here in this journal is to help me stay motivated and on track with my running over the long haul...

So here are the excuses; Between really rotten weather and a bad reaction to a short term steroid trial intended to ease my back pain, I only logged 13 miles last week. I cut short the drug trial and my legs no longer feel like anchors but I've also lost a fair amount of conditioning because my mileage has been way down for more than a month due to deer hunting and bad weather...

On the plus side, I've lost 2 pounds even though it is the holiday season and temptations are always present.

So the plan is to survive the holidays, run as often as possible outside while trying to avoid the treadmill and safely build back up to my normal weekly mileage. I hope to be a lot lighter by spring and ready for a good 2014 running season. I'll post the results here each week on Sundays and hopefully knowing I have to report in will give me the incentive I need to get out there and run even when it's really crappy.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Good goals and congrats on keeping your weight down!

It's been a challenging winter to say the least - if you stick it out you'll be more than ready for Cinci..... and beyond!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:12 am

I have ventured north of the Mason Dixon line to visit family. Running outside is not an option.Twenty four hours before leaving the house it was 78 degrees. Arriving in the thumb it is single digits! Did I mention all the whige stuff on the ground? In my opinion anyone who lives in this type of environment and continues to workout is a hard core. More power to you Dave for keeping the weight off and even thinking about running.
I have come to realize that I am a softie when compared to Dave, Rachel, Bill and anyone else on this forum that resides in regions that can be described in marketing terms as a "Winter Wonder Land".
kevin

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:52 pm

kcy1998 wrote:I have ventured north of the Mason Dixon line to visit family. Running outside is not an option.Twenty four hours before leaving the house it was 78 degrees. Arriving in the thumb it is single digits! Did I mention all the whige stuff on the ground? In my opinion anyone who lives in this type of environment and continues to workout is a hard core. More power to you Dave for keeping the weight off and even thinking about running.
I have come to realize that I am a softie when compared to Dave, Rachel, Bill and anyone else on this forum that resides in regions that can be described in marketing terms as a "Winter Wonder Land".
kevin

Kevin don't sell yourself short - I'd have a heck of a time if I suddenly ran in 78 degree weather!!! If you lived here you'd get used to it and you'd be out in it too - no problem!

Hope you had a nice visit with your family!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:52 pm

kcy1998 wrote:I have ventured north of the Mason Dixon line to visit family. Running outside is not an option.Twenty four hours before leaving the house it was 78 degrees. Arriving in the thumb it is single digits! Did I mention all the whige stuff on the ground? In my opinion anyone who lives in this type of environment and continues to workout is a hard core. More power to you Dave for keeping the weight off and even thinking about running.
kevin

Hey Kevin, I've known you on line and have run with you at our gatherings for at least 6 years now and you are no softie. You are one of the toughest guys I know. "Tough" is what it takes to do what you have done since that day you went down on the TM... You don't talk about it much now but I remember.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

I'll second that

Post by Gary E on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Kev, I agree with Tutt about "You being one of the toughest guys he knows"...'cause I remember you almost getting eloctrocuted while wearing that vest of your's during a race years ago!!!
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Well, hopefully we're through with with the arctic temperatures for a while. So far this has been the toughest winter for outdoor running that I've experienced... I wasn't a runner back in the 70s when this was the norm but I did have to work outside in it. Not fun!

Between the terrible roads and sub zero temperatures over the last few weeks I had to fire up the tread mill again for a lot of my runs and it reaffirmed my aversion for it... I never ran outside during the winter for the first several years and after logging over 2000 miles in one place looking out the same window at the same landscape mile after mile, my brain just says no more! Anyway, as the weather improves I'm starting to get my endurance back and more miles in. 8 miles today, 20 in the last week. If the weather cooperates I'll be back to 10 milers every weekend and 25 - 30 mile weeks in no time. I have to... Cincy is less than 8 weeks away!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Take what Ma gives...truly a carpe diem season!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm following RoadKillBill's lead and dusting off my old journal... As I said on his thread I've always enjoyed following everyone's progress through their posts here on the forum and on some of the other forums. I've learned quite a bit along the way and I like keeping up with my friends and offering encouragement when I can.

When I was actively keeping this journal it helped me stay motivated and committed but due of a series of injuries and declining performance I lost interest and quit posting to it... I didn't want to be a whiner complaining about this injury or that pain all the time so I did what I think most of us do under those circumstances, I withdrew... But I've been thinking that what we're all doing here is still pretty important and breaking new ground, We all are living proof of the value of advanced levels of exercise for those seeking to live well and to overcome their heart disease. And I thought that it really kind of illustrates the whole point when we have several of our members currently injured but trying their best to recover and get back to their normal activity level, and it isn't their heart that's causing the problem it's something else! Isn't that what we all wanted when we started out on this journey? I know I would have gladly traded a blown out disk and a hurt'n knee for my heart problems when they were wheeling me in for OHS!

I'm rambling but I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I think there is an equally important example and message to be found in those who are fighting their way back or just starting an exercise program for the first time in order to overcome their heart problem and perhaps there is a greater need to support them. With that thought I'm resurrecting this journal as sorry as it may be and I'll try to update it every Sunday.

Weight: 170

Gain/loss: -1 pound

Sun 3/22: 6 mi

Tue 3/24: 4 mi

Thurs 3/26: 4 mi

My knee still swells and hurts some after every run. I'm trying different things to help/deal with it but may have to back off for a while. Too late to revisit the surgery option with good weather coming. Maybe next winter if necessary.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 am

I, too, will hopefully try and start a journal of some sort in the near future. I'm currently back to "square one" with the same hamstring issue that plagued me last fall, so I'm not sure when I''ll begin it though. In the meantime, I'll try and keep tabs on you and the others so that I don't get totally depressed.

Just remember "baby steps" for all of us that think we are still teenagers.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Dave...what is wrong with the knee?
Meniscus, arthritis......?

I am not going to say a word about "holding off surgery till next winter", cause I know ya'll never listen to my nagging. Smile
But let me just say one thing.... I do hope you get it taken care of sooner rather than later.
When your knees get screwed up, you tend to walk or run differently...throwing the upper part of your body out of whack.
And that is the reason so many active people with bad knees also have hip and back problems.
Those knees have to support alot of weight!

OK...did I say I was not going to say a word?
I lied. Evil or Very Mad

Glad you are back to your journal! Now I can nag you weekly. Very Happy

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:55 pm

Not saying anything either, you know what you have to do.

Journals are good, they do keep you motivated and you can see your progress over time. You and Roadkill may be starting a trend here although I haven't decided yet.

Good luck with your training, have fun with it.

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Gary E wrote:Just remember "baby steps" for all of us that think we are still teenagers.

We're not teenagers anymore?? When did that happen? OK, baby steps for now.

Sorry your Hammy is still bothering you Gary!

trishb wrote:

OK...did I say I was not going to say a word?  
I lied.   Evil or Very Mad

Glad you are back to your journal!   Now I can nag you weekly.  Very Happy

Yep, MRI showed meniscus tear and arthritis. It's been improving but I can't seem to shake the minor pain and swelling.

Feel free to nag all you want Trish... I need it and appreciate it too!

LMRun wrote:  You and Roadkill may be starting a trend here although I haven't decided yet.

Good luck with your training, have fun with it.

Thanks Louise! You should start a journal too... How are you getting on with your rehab? Well I hope!
Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Dave Tuttle wrote:Thanks Louise! You should start a journal too... How are you getting on with your rehab? Well I hope!

I'm 10 weeks post op.  Dr said it takes a full twelve weeks for complete healing of the tissues.  I'm getting bored with rehab but this week I started strengthening and resistance so that should improve. My PT was ready to start me last week but we had to wait for the 10 week mark.  Now we do less stretching and more strengthening. I have not started walking or running yet, taking my time to do that. 

I'm allowed to do 3 sets of 10 wall pushups, two resistance exercises (extension and retraction) with a blue band and a green band, 3 sets of 10, and one side lying external rotation exercise,  lifting a one pound weight, 3 sets of 10, this one is for the rotator cuff.  

Sheesh, who ever thought I would be only allowed to lift a one pound weight.  It gets even better, I'm allowed to use the vacuum cleaner, one room at a time, no 'the whole house in one day' yet. tongue

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:58 am

Dave Tuttle wrote:
Yep, MRI showed meniscus tear and arthritis. It's been improving but I can't seem to shake the minor pain and swelling.

Dave - sorry about your knee!!! I know you've had this problem for a while - what's the treatment plan for this? I spoke to my doc about my knee...her husband is an orthopedic surgeon and believes that people with arthritis in the knee can still run. So she told me that if I have arthritis I'd probably be able to continue to run.

LMRun wrote:
I'm allowed to do 3 sets of 10 wall pushups, two resistance exercises (extension and retraction) with a blue band and a green band, 3 sets of 10, and one side lying external rotation exercise,  lifting a one pound weight, 3 sets of 10, this one is for the rotator cuff.  

Sheesh, who ever thought I would be only allowed to lift a one pound weight.  It gets even better, I'm allowed to use the vacuum cleaner, one room at a time, no 'the whole house in one day' yet. tongue

THAT'S WHAT I DO NOW!!!!  Shocked  One pound weight and I'm spent....and I don't vacuum.....it's too hard to push the thing!!! Very Happy

You're doing great Louise!!! You've got amazing patience - that'll pay off big time in the end!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks for your comments everyone, your input has always been very helpful to me finding my way...  I think these journals are one of the more viable ways our group can reach out to others while at the same keeping us all in touch. It allows potential new members to see that we all struggle with the same issues that they do and it also helps keep many old friends connected.    

OK, I tried cutting back a little last week to see if less pounding would help but didn't really see any noticeable difference. I'm not pushing myself very hard right now, just trying to maintain a minimum fitness base. If a run I planned to be 5 or 6 miles doesn't feel right I cut it short but I do try for at least 4 mi every other day. My knee has improved a lot in the last 9 months with mostly just minor pain after running now but since I can still feel it I'm concerned and would rather not destroy the knee.... That's my dilemma, If I wreck my knee they can fix it and I probably won't ever run again but if I don't take care of my heart well that could kill me and nothing works my heart like running...  I don't want to go back to either of the surgeons I saw last year because I know they'll just tell me what they said the first time around,  stop running... The first surgeon said I had to have surgery right now and quit running. The other one told me I had to quit running (forever) without even seeing the MRI. I had to drive about 300 miles total for these two consultations and I really don't want to spend a lot of $ and time for more of the same. That's one of the drawbacks of living out here in the Jing weeds. I tried to get the best surgeons in the area but found them both unwilling to discuss how important running is to me or if there was any way to try to make it work... My (now advanced) life experience has taught me to not quit until it's obvious beyond doubt that a situation is insurmountable so for now I guess I'm on my own on this one... Worst case, I'll wreck my knee but not my heart.

BTW, I recently  read they are making a replacement knee for runners now     

Weight: 171 - up one.

3/29 - 5 mi

4/1 - 4 mi

4/3 - 4 mi

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Dee is in a similar situation with her knee. She can bike but can't run.

She's been looking at innovative treatments that avoid knee replacements. They are generally "experimental", out-of-town, and aren't covered by insurance.

So like you, we're still looking for a silver bullet.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Sorry about your knee issues.

Unfortunately, I think all other treatment options right now, would be just a bandaid.
But if that runner's knee becomes available, you should be first in line!

Just do what you can. Rememer to ice it after each run. Avoid running on hard surfaces.
And check out newer more cushioned shoes.

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum