heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

What’s your “winter” running tolerance and/or your winter running necessities????

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What’s your “winter” running tolerance and/or your winter running necessities????

Post by DonSoule on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Some of you may have seen my facebook post with pictures - I've been using the dreadmill lately due to the ice because last winter I twisted my knee after jumping over some snowplow piles and landing on a patch of ice so I've been more cautious in my 65th year of life and running mostly at the Y on either a treadmill or the indoor track but today I threw caution away and went for a 3.2 mile record breaking run at -24F with a wind chill or -54F. Even in MN (at least in the southern half) we don't get too many chances to run in -54F so I believe that was my coldest run yet Smile I'll take any PR I can! Hey - I didn't even need to Ice my knees or take an ice bath to recover after my run - the silver lining Smile - Didn't see any other runners out and not even too many cars. My only real issue was my frosted over glasses so I could hardly see the path where I was running - I can dress for any temperature we've had so far.

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Re: What’s your “winter” running tolerance and/or your winter running necessities????

Post by Gary E on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Don, I'm pretty sure you will retain the distinction of having run in the lowest temperatures by any HEART member...unless one of us volunteers for an Antarctic expedition some day.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Wow, that's pretty cold Don.

These frigid temperatures put a significant extra load on the heart... I'm sticking to the dread mill until it warms back up to more normal temps just to be safe.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:59 pm

Great run this morning – outside for once! Because of the conditions this winter I’ve been running on the TM a lot again. Today was warm so I ran outside – it was raining but I was much faster, much happier, and much sorer!!! By mile 7  - I was in some pain (heart/lungs okay…..legs – not so much)

Earlier this week many people in my area were snowed in (some for up to 4 days – I mean they couldn’t leave their houses for 4 days) This winter has been tough (hey, it’s Michigan…..not Minnesota) I’m sure it could always be worse, but I really hope we don’t go into another deep freeze with high winds and massive amounts of snow anytime too soon.....or ever!!!

Life is a whole lot easier at 38 degrees!!! Maybe I should move.....

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by marathonman60 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:27 am

The best runners come from Michigan!
Tom C

marathonman60

http://www.tom'srunningtoday-blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:18 am

marathonman60 wrote:The best runners come from Michigan!
Tom C

HAHA!!! You know it!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:35 pm

This is the 2nd week for the 10k training team and it is COLD! If I was not coaching I would stay in bed. I do not know how the folks north in the nort train during the winter.This winter has made it official...I am a wimp!
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Klemp on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:14 pm

I have not been running as much as I'd like this winter. I recently had a bout of runners knee on my left knee as well as ongoing back pain. I don't know how the runners knee pain developed as my weekly mileage has been low. I am trying some new stretches and exercise bands to see if that helps. I don't mind cold air but try not to run in temps below 20 degrees. This was from the cardiologist recommendation who said 40 degrees was to be my limit. I hope to begin to increase weekly mileage from here on out.

Klemp

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:04 pm

Klemp wrote:I have not been running as much as I'd like this winter. I recently had a bout of runners knee on my left knee as well as ongoing back pain. I don't know how the runners knee pain developed as my weekly mileage has been low. I am trying some new stretches and exercise bands to see if that helps. I don't mind cold air but try not to run in temps below 20 degrees. This was from the cardiologist recommendation who said 40 degrees was to be my limit. I hope to begin to increase weekly mileage from here on out.

I hope that knee improves Robert... And that it gets warmer soon too. I think most of us are logging less mileage than we'd like to this winter and are looking forward to ramping it back up.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Good to hear from you again, Big Guy! I hope the knee responds by the time we get to see grass again. (For those of you that live in warm climates, I was referring to the fact that it has been a snowy winter in the state where Bob and I reside...not implying that either one of us ever smoked that other substance with a similar name).
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi Bob

Nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your running problems. I hope you get fixed up for some spring running.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Klemp wrote:I have not been running as much as I'd like this winter. I recently had a bout of runners knee on my left knee as well as ongoing back pain. I don't know how the runners knee pain developed as my weekly mileage has been low. I am trying some new stretches and exercise bands to see if that helps. I don't mind cold air but try not to run in temps below 20 degrees. This was from the cardiologist recommendation who said 40 degrees was to be my limit. I hope to begin to increase weekly mileage from here on out.

I too hope that you heal soon...but if there's a time to not be running....it would be the winter of '14 (that's 2014.....just to clarify)

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum