heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

What’s your “winter” running tolerance and/or your winter running necessities????

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What’s your “winter” running tolerance and/or your winter running necessities????

Post by Rachel August on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Because most of the country is experiencing some of the coldest temperatures we've all had in a while….I was wondering if anyone has any stories to share while you’re out there running in it.

Here are mine:

1). So far I’ve been caught in at least 3 blizzards while running – very high winds where the snow was coming down so hard and so fast that it not only created instant white-out conditions where I couldn't see, but it also stung my eyes - so I really couldn't see!!!

2). I’m pretty sure I’d be a great hockey player as I’ve perfected my skate-and-run technique this winter

3). My fingers (at least three) on each hand have gone completely numb – as in zero blood circulation - a couple times while running

4). My water bottle froze solid at mile four last Saturday – I used it to ice my foot post run.

My winter running essentials are

1). My hat and headband
2). One pair of gloves + hand warmers + mittens over all that
3). Smart Wool socks
4). Vaseline – on my face!!!!
5). Very hot water for my fingers post-run
6). A positive attitude
7). Hot coffee (after a morning run) Hot toddy (after a late morning run)

It’s been snowing here heavy non-stop for about a week with temps in the 20’s and wind chills in the single digits….

Okay, okay I have to admit that I actually broke down this morning and ran on the TM – OH HOW SHOCKING!!! I know, I know – you’re all thinking what’s Rachel doing wimping out like this… (yeah, shocking – isn’t it?) well…(and I really do hate to admit this) - but it was nice to finally NOT feel like I was going to freeze to death.....I really do LOVE winter running - this winter is a bit more challenging for me!

What's your story????

Last edited by Rachel August on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: What’s your “winter” running tolerance and/or your winter running necessities????

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:36 pm

I've noticed on log a run that you've been running outside in the really bad weather a lot more than last year Rachel, pretty much every run has been outside. You're tough!!

Winter running is challenging and I think this one might be especially challenging but it should be manageable most days... Our friend in England, Brian H. once said that you can run in any weather if you have the proper clothes and I think he's right to a point. I have a lot of different kinds of winter running clothes to match just about anything but I also try to avoid temperatures below about 12 to15 deg or at worst only run short distances at those temperatures... Some of our members have been limited to only running above 30 deg. by their Doctors and of course, we need to follow their orders (it never hurts to ask about it either)...

I never thought to try Smart Wool socks. I have several pairs for hiking so I'm going to give them a try. The 0 drop shoes I've been wearing are quite thin so my feet have been a little cooler than in regular running shoes.

My face takes a beating out there when it's harsh too but I guess that's an advantage of being an old male geezer... It doesn't matter for me so I don't do anything to help keep it pretty. You however need to protect your face. It would be a shame to weather it  Sad 

I'm surprised your fingers get cold with mittens and hand warmers. Do you have Gore Tex mittens? Mine keep my hands toasty in the coldest temps.

Another thought on running mostly outside is that your heat tolerance needs to be built back up carefully if you haven't run in warm temps for months on end. With Cinci in early March that could be an issue... It was for me 2 years ago when I ran it with the gang. It was in the mid 70s down there and I wasn't acclimated yet so I really felt the heat.

Oh yeah, my most essential winter survival trick... Hex head sheet metal screws inserted all around the perimeter on my running shoe soles for traction.

Happy Running!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: What’s your “winter” running tolerance and/or your winter running necessities????

Post by Sumorunner on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:30 pm

It's not the ambient temperature that matters, it's the wind chill equivalent. I always check a weather site to see what they call the "real feel". I will not go out for a training run when it is or feels like it's below about 25. I will sometimes tolerate those conditions for a race if it's already in my plans. The Turkey Trot I did on Thanksgiving was 24F with a wind chill of 10 and it was rather uncomfortable for the first mile or so, but at race effort I warm up more so it was OK after a while. I have run in temps below zero more than once, but no more. It was not at all enjoyable, so why do it?

The other big factor is footing. I won't run in icy conditions. New snow or hard packed snow is OK, you can actually get pretty good traction on it, but I always look for clear pavement first. Luckily, the town often plows a 2 mile section of the bike path to keep us out of traffic.

I do have a treadmill in the basement and will use it in desperation if I haven't run for a few days, however before I got that there were times when I ran 0 miles for a few weeks in Jan or Feb. Now it may be 3-4 days at most, then it's desperation time.

Most days in winter I say I wear one full load of laundry. The other day I had on my maximum outfit, 3 long sleeve tech shirts, hooded sweat shirt and & wind breaker, long johns, sweat pants & wind pants, and of course hat & gloves. If it's a windy day I'll also use a scarf to partially cover my face plus mittens over the gloves. Beyond that it simply is not worth it.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Rachel, you are hard core!  Shocked
Last weekend it was in mid 20s, this past Monday was miserable, steady rain, in the 20s.  I'm wimpy so ran 3 at the Y on Monday.  Will try to get out tomorrow for a run.

It doesn't get as cold here as in the north so no sub zero temps.  Back in '98 I remember a long run at the track with ice on the roads.  Layers were the key with gloves and scarf wrapped around my face.  In '91 I did a long run on the treadmill at the gym, it was too cold outside to run.  No one was there but me, my water bottles, and Steeler football.  The lady asked when I left if I was training for something and I told her about the Cowtown Marathon I was getting ready for.

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:32 am

OMG am I a princess.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:15 am

Billcobit wrote:OMG am I a princess.

You are not a princess.....you are VERY funny!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:23 am

tutt wrote:I'm surprised your fingers get cold with mittens and hand warmers. Do you have Gore Tex mittens? Mine keep my hands toasty in the coldest temps.   

I've got Raynaud's disease....so I've got to be careful in the cold.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Back when we had real winters.

Post by Gary E on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Most of you know that I'm not much of a "high-tech" guy, but I thought I'd just let you know what we runners wore prior to the invention of Gore-Tex (ie 1960's and early 70's).

When I went out in freezing temperatures then, women's nylons (with the feet cut away) were my tights and of course they were hidden under our cotton sweat pants. Instead of fancy insulated mittens, I wore my dad's heavy cotton "hunting socks", and we always had those stocking caps with the goofy ball-thing on top. Scarfs could always be worn around the face and several layers of sweat-shirts usually ended up tied around our waists as we eventually got "warmed up".

I think there was a photo of such an outfit posted on the Cardiac Athletes site, but I no longer have authorization to use that site, and my computer with those old B&W photos currently sits disabled in the corner of my den, so I can't retrieve any visual proof for all you youngsters...thank heavens.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:04 am

I'm not sure how you gals & guys survive the really cold temps. I've been out a few times when it's in the 40s and don't like it. I always wear a hat when I run but when it's cold, gloves with liners, 2 shirts, usually one long sleeve and one short sleeve over it. I always wear shorts if the temps are about 38 or so. If by chance I go out when it's really cold, I'll wear tights under my shorts and a cap I can pull down over my ears and pray my fingers don't freeze off.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:06 pm

You're off the hook Bill, Gary just won the Princess award no contest... That pantyhose thing takes him into a world all his own  Shocked  I think I'd try to run in my Carhartt Overalls first  jocolor

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:38 pm

tutt wrote:You're off the hook Bill, Gary just won the Princess award no contest... That pantyhose thing takes him into a world all his own  Shocked  I think I'd try to run in my Carhartt Overalls first  jocolor

OMG .......  LMAO - Too funny!!!!   I love this group!!!!! We're a bunch of characters!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 am

I don't let the cold weather stop me although it does slow me down. I've run in blizzards and in -15F (-26C) conditions.

It's a great time to run in the woods. The bears and snakes are hibernating; the ticks, mosquitos and horseflies are inactive; the mud is frozen; and the poison ivy is dormant.

Bad footing due to ice is another story. I've taken some hard falls over the years. Now, I have these strap on metal studs that I can pull on over my shoes. I also have some snow shoes but I'm not that fond of them.

If it gets really bad, I look for a plowed parking lot. The local community college here does a nice job with snow removal so I run laps around the parking lot.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by bsegall2 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:11 pm

I agree - the straps with metal studs are great. I jogged with them this morning and felt much more comfortable. I also used a thin "skull cap" for the first time, covered by a cap to keep the snow out of my eyes. This worked well.

I am hoping that conditions tomorrow morning in Westchester County NY will allow me to cross-country ski.

Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:56 pm

bsegall2 wrote:I agree - the straps with metal studs are great.  I jogged with them this morning and felt much more comfortable.  I also used a thin "skull cap" for the first time, covered by a cap to keep the snow out of my eyes. This worked well.

I am hoping that conditions tomorrow morning in Westchester County NY will allow me to cross-country ski.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, welcome to the group! It looks like you're getting a lot of snow down there today and we're getting hammered up here too... I'm thinking we all might be bonding with our tread mills more this year or strapping on skis like you are. Last time I tried it I spent a lot of time picking myself up off the ground but it was a great workout.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 am

Well I'm a wimp and purposely so. I despise ice...working in marine construction environs I dread the slip trip fall...either onto something very hard...or overboard (been there done that). The upside being that for my running I'm rarely very far from a beach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:Well I'm a wimp and purposely so. I despise ice...working in marine construction environs  I dread the slip trip fall...either onto something very hard...or overboard (been there done that). The upside being that for my running I'm rarely very far from a beach.

Wimp....definitely not -- you're smart for despising ice!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Cold doesn't usually stop me unless its a strong wind chill. A strong winter wind cuts right through all my fancy gear. What sends me inside is usually slippery conditions. Snow fall this week has left paths covered and slippery. With my recent back issues I can't afford to slip and fall. Was on the treadmill this morning.

Gary...Some skeletons should stay in the closet. Pantyhose????

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:24 am

Well I think some of you guys get proper winter conditions compared with me in the south of England. Other than very slippery ice - when I tend to go off road in deeper snow anyway - I'm out all year round. Hate treadmill running and I'm not a member of a gym anyway so don't have access normally.

As for kit, in very cold conditions I will wear slightly thicker tights and a thermal base layer with either another long sleeve on top or in extremes a thin running jacket, though again I don't actually like running in a jacket or anything too warm. Key thing is to wear a hat if it's very cold.

Other than that, just keep running and don't slow down too much!

Russ
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:45 am

Be careful out there, all you tough guys and gals. It looks like many of us are getting clobbered with some dangerous winter weather. It's hard for me to believe that the Cinci meet-up is just over 2 months away.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Burrr... This is getting old. I'm trying to re establish a relationship with my tread mill but it's not going well.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:28 am

I hear you Dave. We have almost reached are average winter snow fall and we have a couple months to go. It's -15 degrees out this morning with a wind chill around -40. Can't run in this. I've already been on the treadmill 6 times this winter which is about twice as much as I normally deal with that torture machine. My YMCA is closed today due to weather so can't get my run in. Will head to basement to ride my bike.

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by marathonman60 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:07 am

When the temp is below 20 and windchill below 0 I stay home. I get frostbite on my nose. I'm snowshoeing, better than xc skis, don't fall.

marathonman60

http://www.tom'srunningtoday-blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 am

I probably should keep my mouth shut here but it's 8:00AM and 40º sunny & clear. I wear shorts to run or walk until the temps go below 38 or so as long as it's not windy. I usually wear a long sleeve and short sleeve tech top, always a hat and never forget the gloves.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18 am

Yeah - I'm not running outside today (right now it's 3 degrees and -16 degrees wind chill) Lake Michigan keeps us warmer than most of our neighboring states! But I can't even get to the gym....Oh how I miss that beloved treadmill! - Heck I can't even get out into the street in my car - too much snow and I live in the country.....it's going to be a very long time before I leave this house!

On a positive note I did our elliptical for 25 min this morning - obviously not the same as running - but I'm adding it to my cross-training days!

I'd love to fly out to where you are Mel.....but as I said I can't even get out of my driveway!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

I'm always so misunderstood

Post by Gary E on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:07 pm

kyoung wrote:Gary...Some skeletons should stay in the closet. Pantyhose????

Kevin, that was in the "dark ages" of running. No one had ever heard of polypropylene, tyvek, or thermal wear...and the term "wicking" is what happened when my father pulled out his belt and came after me.

Today, this polite and genteel senior citizen decided to run at a fitness club despite the wind-chill being only minus 24. I'm told tomorrow will be the really cold day in this region.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum