heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Thanksgiving Race - Berwick

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thanksgiving Race - Berwick

Post by twal on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Today’s race was a 9 miler in Berwick, Pa. It was started back in 1908 and is one of the oldest races in the US. This was the 21st time I’ve done it. I finished 713 out of 1559 (15 out of 36 in 60-64) but was beaten by a number of rivals. I ran 77:34 (8:38/mi) which was my slowest ever. I ran the same pace for 9 mi as I ran for 13.1 in Syracuse. It was 28F but the wind chill was on the order of 15F.

The course has a ridiculous hill at 2 miles that goes up about 500 ft in a mile and the splits reflected the hilliness of the course (8:22, 8:25, 10:15, 9:23, 8:41, 7:56, 8:03, 8:15, 8:19). Here’s the link to the course profile.

http://www.runfordiamonds.com/info.html#prof

I was looking back at some old times and I did this in 54:57 (6:09/mi) in 1983 and only slowed to 63:04 (7:00/mi) by 2001. Then I had my heart surgery and ran 70:38 (7:47/mi) in 2003 and it’s downhill ever since.

This is a special race in this area because of its history. For me, back in 1965, the first running trophy I won was in this race.

It was also nice to see John Jones run this race. You may remember, he ran with us in Baltimore and was diagnosed with cancer shortly after that. He almost died during surgery but has fought his way back to finish the 9 miler today.

This was my last race of the season. I’m going in for some surgery next week. So, if you don’t hear from me in a few weeks, it’s because I died. With a little luck, I’ll be back running in a few weeks.

twal

Back to top Go down

Re: Thanksgiving Race - Berwick

Post by Rachel August on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:09 am

What a great way to spend your Thanksgiving - I'd say you ended this year's events on a positive note!

Hope things go well for you in the weeks ahead so you can get back out there in that wind chill!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:55 am

I also ran Turkey Trot yesterday, 3.5 mi in Cohoes NY. It was their 50th year, so it probably started in 64. I've run 9 in a row now.

Running a turkey trot prior to that was impossible since I had 4 kids at home and couldn't escape for a couple hours to run on a holiday. Once they grew up I had a little more free time, so I started going to Cohoes. It was always a very small race. In 2005 there were about 70 finishers. The last couple years it's been over 500.

There's another one, much larger, across the river in Troy, NY which had more than 5000 in the 5K, another 1300 in the 10k, plus about 500 in a kids 1 mile. It too is billed as one of the oldest, since it traces it's roots to 1916, but a little research will find a few older like Buffalo and Berwick.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 am

Congrats to all in their Thanksgiving races.

Its difficult to accept that getting older and the incumbent dissolution of what 'fast twitch' we may have had in our primes combined with the other circumstances we have been selected to endure might actually show up in our race times.

What remains for this runner is ..train hard have fun.

Even so it can be difficult to reflect on those 'glory' years and not be chagrined at how far off the mark we have 'fallen'. (Believe me I am mortified at my times..)

That outlook, left to its ultimate end, would have us sitting in front of the tube eating Cheetos and slugging back a 30 pak. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...oh wait..sorry..nope..it is wrong on too many levels to discuss.

So I gladly muckle along...dream my dreams and plot out my oh so wonderful outcomes...and take some solace that.... at the very least...I'm still moving.
That I'm still pushing hard at whatever limitation I may have for that day...never satisfied at the result, I can always do better. The ultimate motivator for lacing them up and heading out the door...banishing the siren's call of my recliner.

Good on ya Tom and Jack...keep up the fight..you get me out the door and my thanks yesterday and everyday are to you and everyone else here in this 'hall'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum