heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Running with some old (and new) friends

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Running with some old (and new) friends

Post by Rachel August on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Today was sort of special for me.

So….I finally went running with people from my old running group. Since surgery I’ve been out running a few times with a local group, but never with some of the people I’ve known for a while.

It brought back some great memories….meeting up in the dark….waiting for others in the cold….the warm hugs…….the bright colors….  it was pretty cool. Of course running was great but as usual (and this is something that has happened to me after surgery) -- I ran alone. The top group was too fast - running their “easy” 8 min pace (I think all of them have BQ at least once) the group behind me was not my pace either – so I was sort of sandwiched in the middle somewhere – it still felt good!

Afterwards we met up at the local coffee shop - I’d say there were at least 30 of us in there – (they really should give us a discount – or something)

But the cool part happened outside when a guy from the group who I didn’t know came up to talk to me after our run – when I told him my name he smiled “So…..you’re Rachel Bishop….I’ve been wanting to talk to you….” He then proceeded to tell me that he’s heard about me from other mutual friends and like me he is also a heart patient.

We stood out in the cold (post run mind you) talking about our heart experiences – no other person – not even some of my closest friends could have kept me outside that long (wet and freezing) – I was totally engaged in meaningful conversation – the only kind you can have with another who’s “been there” - it was so special for me to have made this connection to another heart brother today.

I of course told him about this group and I hope he joins us.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: Running with some old (and new) friends

Post by kodi30 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Sounds like a good morning. Nice to make connections with others that have similar problems.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:11 pm

I know what you mean. I have encountered 3 local runners with recent heart surgery within the past year, including one just last week at the 15K race. I'm able to tell them, yes you have a future in the sport. They all seem to breath a little easier after we talk.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:43 am

Glad you are back with the gang Rachel. Nice celebration.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Cool! Always great to meet another heart patient and share experience, encouragement, etc. Even after years, the psychological and emotional impact of OHS for many of us creates a surprising sense of fraternity. I am one of those. I didn't feel particularly brittle before or after the surgery, yet I always feel a bond when I meet another heart patient.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Unless yer a bad a*s individualist it always pays dividends to connect with those of the same ilk.

In as much as we are somewhat outside the 'norm' of what the medical community generally deals with we tend to get standard prognosis and direction but in many cases not really addressing our concerns or needs ( oh yes it is a need...for my overall well being...not just my cardiac well being).

Finding like minded and similarly afflicted who are in their own way pursuing the same goal is crucial to a long term recovery.

Doubt is a killer of dreams and goals. It is removed in a community such as this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Rachel August wrote:Today was sort of special for me.

So….I finally went running with people from my old running group. Since surgery I’ve been out running a few times with a local group, but never with some of the people I’ve known for a while.

It brought back some great memories….meeting up in the dark….waiting for others in the cold….the warm hugs…….the bright colors….  it was pretty cool. Of course running was great but as usual (and this is something that has happened to me after surgery) -- I ran alone. The top group was too fast - running their “easy” 8 min pace (I think all of them have BQ at least once) the group behind me was not my pace either – so I was sort of sandwiched in the middle somewhere – it still felt good!

Afterwards we met up at the local coffee shop - I’d say there were at least 30 of us in there – (they really should give us a discount – or something)

But the cool part happened outside when a guy from the group who I didn’t know came up to talk to me after our run – when I told him my name he smiled “So…..you’re Rachel Bishop….I’ve been wanting to talk to you….” He then proceeded to tell me that he’s heard about me from other mutual friends and like me he is also a heart patient.

We stood out in the cold (post run mind you) talking about our heart experiences – no other person – not even some of my closest friends could have kept me outside that long (wet and freezing) – I was totally engaged in meaningful conversation – the only kind you can have with another who’s “been there” - it was so special for me to have made this connection to another heart brother today.

I of course told him about this group and I hope he joins us.
It sounds like a very special day reconnecting with your old running friends Rachel and another important milestone in your journey... It almost seems like your conversation with the recent heart patient was meant to be. "Been there" says it all.

Marc Thayer wrote:
Doubt is a killer of dreams and goals. It is removed in a community such as this.
I like that Marc! So true!
Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Rachel,
Your story is touching. Standing out in the cold after a run is probably something I would not have done. More power to you. You are touching many lives. That is a very rewarding feeling.
kevin

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Sounds good that you are running with your old and new friends. It's also great that you were able to provide first hand knowledge and experience to another heart buddy. I hope he decides to join us here at HEART.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks for your comments everyone – it is extra sweet for me to share this story with all of you! As my new friend and I agreed on right before entering the coffee shop – “No one else really gets this do they?” – “Nope, except for people like us”

That morning we helped each other. That’s why this community is so important - we all continue to help each other just because we’ve all been there!

Yes - this community is devoid of doubt and really very special!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum