heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Heart Disease Begins In Childhood

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Heart Disease Begins In Childhood

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:32 am

Here is an interesting video that our friend Venkat posted on the HEART face book page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWd0R05ZEs#t=14

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: Heart Disease Begins In Childhood

Post by Rachel August on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:50 am

I saw this - very sad findings.....although I shouldn't be surprised - all I remember growing up in our house were the loads of pop tarts - processed lunch meat sandwiches smothered in mayo on Wonder bread - fried spam - overcooked pork chops - and Twinkies for dessert.... not to mention all the ice cream in our house.

Fortunately for me I became a vegetarian thanks to my rebellious spirit....and the recognition that my mother just didn't really care!!!

Sadly - I think the American diet has gotten worse since my childhood

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Rachel August wrote: Fortunately for me I became a vegetarian thanks to my rebellious spirit.

That was our daughter in our household. Result was that we started making our vegetarian "side dishes" in greater quantity and variety so she wouldn't starve or load up on non-meat junk food, and it started crowding out the critters from our plates. Momma and I can't quite call ourselves real vegetarians yet, but we really only prepare meat only when we have guests or find ourselves at a restaurant. We really could/should decide to swear off meat and dairy completely.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:58 am

Like Bill, I cannot call myself a vegetarian, but I don't eat red meat...hardly. I still like pepperoni on pizza and on very rare occasions will have a hot Italian Sausage Sandwich! both of which are part of my heritage. I quit eating red meat about 30 years ago because of high cholesterol and it never made a difference, something in the genes...maybe! I now take crestor to keep it under control. I will be sending this to all my nieces & nephews of which I have many, to be aware of where they, their children and grandchildren may be heading.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by scvb13 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Rachel,
I think we grew up in the same household! That's exactly the same crap I grew up eating along with a can of Coca Cola with breakfast. We did eat a lot of veggies too though as my grandparents had a wonderful garden and I grew up on fresh green beans, carrots, beets, and whatever else they were growing along with peaches and apricots from their trees.

scvb13

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:57 am

I hated veggies when I was a kid and ours came straight from the garden. I would only eat corn, carrots (cooked), lettuce & tomatoes. I sure missed a lot! Now I'll eat just about any kind. Still have trouble with lima beans but do eat them, not real fond of peas, and Okra is out! Smile

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:32 pm

Okra is one of my favorite foods. It's hard getting fresh okra up north.

twal

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum