heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

A Little Faster Today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Little Faster Today

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:55 am

Finally got a run in under 10 min. mile average today. Its been 9 months... Most of my problem is the extra 13 pounds I can't find the will power to shed. New light weight 0 drop minimal shoes helped it feel like I could run fast even if I am a slug.
Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: A Little Faster Today

Post by trishb on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:15 am

Well done, Dave!

Once we get the weight loss challenge going, I'll make sure you drop those 13 pounds!!
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Dave,
Nice job. Keep us informed as to how the shoes are working.
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:53 pm

The minimalist shoes scare me. I like all the padding I can get.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:09 am

mikenall wrote:The minimalist shoes scare me. I like all the padding I can get.

Don't forget, Mike, the more padding...the more artificial your footfall. I've always been a minimalist (long before the term was coined) and can't wait to get thin again so that I can run more naturally.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:08 am

The shoe I'm trying actually does seem to have just enough padding. Probably a little more than most bare foot shoes yet it is the lightest most flexible and responsive shoe I've ever had. It feels like I should be able to handle all the miles I want to in it but only time and miles will tell for sure. The 0 drop really seems to smooth out my stride so impact is considerably reduced.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Really great Dave!!!

I'm also afraid of the minimalist shoes, unless of course they make some that show off my pretty manicured toes!!! lol!

Rachel

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:52 pm

I run 90% of my miles in heavy NB trainers with orthotic inserts, but have raced in light weight shoes since maybe the early 80s.

Currently using NB 769 which I've had for several years and after well over 100 races, including a half marathon in January, show hardly any wear. I'd try something like a Zero Drop but as long as these are good, I'm too cheap to buy new ones.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:54 am

Sumorunner wrote:I run 90% of my miles in heavy NB trainers with orthotic inserts, but have raced in light weight shoes since maybe the early 80s.

Currently using NB 769 which I've had for several years and after well over 100 races, including a half marathon in January, show hardly any wear. I'd try something like a Zero Drop but as long as these are good, I'm too cheap to buy new ones.

Racing since the early 80's Surprised and still going strong!

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:23 am

[/quote]
Racing since the early 80's Surprised and still going strong![/quote]

Actually 428 races since 1978, 25 last year alone, but the going strong part is questionable. I'm going to jump into a 5K tomorrow and I'll be lucky if I can keep an 11 min/mi pace.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Rachel August wrote:Really great Dave!!!

I'm also afraid of the minimalist shoes, unless of course they make some that show off my pretty manicured toes!!! lol!

Rachel

Ha ha... I think Gary may have just the running shoes for you Rachel!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Wed May 01, 2013 9:50 pm

I subscribe to the lightweight shoe fad...why lump around in "motion control" behemoths that .. for me anyway...don't prevent anything and may actually promote injury.
Let the evolved engineering of the marvel that is the human foot do what it is supposed to do.
Overcoming years of restrictive footwear is a bit daunting...and is not something to 'do' on a whim...it can take months before your foot can acclimate to its new found freedom ( it's a strength issue)

0 stack is more than I can manage just yet...and I too like the cushioning fer all those bumps and bumbles in the surfaces I run on so I've been in the "transitional" mode for the last year or so...4mm stack...currently checking out the Skechers GoRun2...an odd shoe to be sure, like nothing I've ever worn before...seems to push you into that holy grail of foot strike...midfoot.

the fact that these shoes only weigh 6.6 ounces is the prime motivator for me....I'm all done weight training with my shoes...and they were 74 bone....pretty cheap for a current model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm

I've been carefully increasing my mileage in my new barefoot (with a little cushioning) shoes. This week I ran all my runs except last Sunday's long run in the 0 drop shoes... No problems or unusual pains, just a little extra muscle fatigue from the slight difference in gait and how the muscles are asked to adapt. I really like how these shoes feel, they're very natural feeling and I hope I'll be able to transition to them 100%. I think I need a few more weeks running my usual 4 days in a row mid week in them before I try a 10 mile long run in them. I'm getting in 28 to 30 miles a week now and I'm noticing a big difference in how these shoes are not wearing down on the heels like my 4 and 8 mm drop shoes did. I am a mid foot striker unless I'm really tired or going down hill and the 0 drop really smooths out my stride during those times.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

which footfall will result in braking?

Post by Gary E on Fri May 10, 2013 9:54 pm

[img][/img]

Although I no longer run with this stride length, I still espouse the concept of the mid-foot strike for efficient "no-brake" (or should that be breaking?) running. Oh, to be that light again too.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sat May 11, 2013 11:39 am

Guru Gary has once again nailed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sat May 11, 2013 11:49 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun May 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Gary E wrote:[img][/img]

Although I no longer run with this stride length, I still espouse the concept of the mid-foot strike for efficient "no-brake" (or should that be breaking?) running. Oh, to be that light again too.

That's a great picture Gary and a perfect illustration of the difference in running style... I always like your pictures from "back in the day".

Marc Thayer wrote:Guru Gary has once again nailed it.

Guru Indeed!

Marc Thayer wrote:a decidedly slanted piece in the shoe debate

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2013/01/12/comfort-question-running-pillows-hoka-one/

Great article Marc... If we really needed lots of padding on our feet they would have it by now. Running has been done with minimal or no foot gear for thousands of years so the transition to a more natural approach should be doable and beneficial for many runners. My experiment of one so far seems to support the idea.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon May 13, 2013 10:01 am

I’ve had my stride videotaped and evaluated a couple times through a program at my running club – they have us run in shoes and then run bare-foot - big difference in foot strike. So when I run (in my very padded shoes) - I try really hard to focus on a mid-sole strike, and that works up to a point, but I’ve seen pictures of myself late in a run and what feels like a mid-strike is a total heel strike! I know a lot of my friends have experimented with minimal shoes and I do think that this will be my next purchase as well. I’m going to ease into things by doing some of my runs in them and we’ll see how it goes.

Gary - LOVE your pictures!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Be careful what you ask for

Post by Gary E on Mon May 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Since several of you said you enjoyed the B&W days, I might as well humor you some more. Here is my look during the "Prefontaine years":

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=20&u=18258254

I don't know what happened this time, but now you have to click on the link to view the image. This technical stuff is too difficult for an oldtimer.

Last edited by Gary E on Mon May 13, 2013 10:08 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : difficulty uploading image)
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Be careful what you ask for

Post by Rachel August on Tue May 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Gary E wrote:Since several of you said you enjoyed the B&W days, I might as well humor you some more. Here is my look during the "Prefontaine years":

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=20&u=18258254

I don't know what happened this time, but now you have to click on the link to view the image. This technical stuff is too difficult for an oldtimer.

Thanks Gary!

I wonder if there's a space on this site for albums....not that I have any, but I really did enjoy the pictures that you had posted earlier on the other place.
Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Tue May 14, 2013 4:21 pm

You can always put them up on a photo site like Picasa and just provide a link to it, which is what I do for the local marathon here: https://picasaweb.google.com/SumoRunner/MohawkHudsonRiverMarathon2012

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed May 15, 2013 6:19 am

[quote="Rachel August
I wonder if there's a space on this site for albums....not that I have any, but I really did enjoy the pictures that you had posted earlier on the other place.[/quote]

Good idea Rachel... I found a photo album feature and activated it. It is the gallery at the top of the home page. Give it a try!
Admin
Admin

http://heartorg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum