heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

PINK and RED

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PINK and RED

Post by Rachel August on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 am

My rambling observations….and a little venting brought on by a friend of mine....sorry it’s long

So…. I’m standing in line at my local post office and I realize that I’m surrounded by décor resembling a little girl’s birthday party – pink streamers attach to the walls by big pink bows while pink globe-like objects hang from the ceiling….hmmm….and then I remember watching the football players during last Saturday’s game don the latest in pink accessories - pink towels, hand grips - shoot….some of them even wore pink shoes! Then I realize – oh, it must be October.

Good job Rachel, I say to myself because I’m aware that pink means it’s October and October is breast cancer awareness month….and even I know that because this campaign is so successful.

Please read this next part very carefully because I can’t say this part strongly enough – I am very glad that the breast cancer awareness campaigns are in the spotlight and successfully promoting breast cancer education, prevention and screenings, as well as raising money for breast cancer research …..as a woman I feel that it’s VERY important……

but….

I’m all too aware of something else, something that in my mind is overlooked far too often…..I have a feeling that you all know what I’m talking about.

My good friend, an avid cyclist and self-proclaimed health nut had a stroke a couple days ago.

I know him well, I’ve even had the privilege to be on his Ultimate Cycling Challenge team raising money for the Lance Armstrong foundation as he and I cycled (spun) together for a few hours at 3:00am a couple years ago (actually he was killing it – spinning away, full of energy….I was sort of just pedaling along mostly complaining that my back side hurt – and that I needed coffee….)

I know how strong he is – to say that he’s in shape is an understatement so I’m still in shock over his stroke - my heart is actually breaking right now.

Unfortunately heart disease and stroke are common, congenital heart defects are the most common birth defects in the US, and heart disease is the number one killer over all the other diseases and cancers combined – I know this – you know this – but does the public know this?

Really….not to take away from the breast cancer campaign because it’s really important – but I just wish that the football players, or the post office – or at least my friends for heaven’s sake  would don red once and a while to help us increase awareness of heart related issues. We do have a month – it’s February but even if the post office or some other public venue does happen to decorate in red during the month of February it’s probably seen as a celebration to St. Valentine….

I do feel that the breast cancer awareness campaigns have been pretty successful – speaking for myself at least, I’ve personally had many different types of doctors urge me to get my routine breast examinations and I’ve also taken extensive risk assessment questionnaires during my mammograms  - so I know my risk for breast cancer. I think the attention and care I’ve received in this area is somewhat an outcome of these campaigns.

This is all very good and I’m more than grateful to have been cared for so very well in this area of medicine – but looking back what I really needed was for someone, some doctor to have taken a really good listen to my heart and maybe they would have caught that heart murmur BEFORE I almost blacked out while driving my car.

I also needed for my doctors to jump – and I mean to get serious and do something instead of playing the “wait and see” game - the minute they discovered that my aortic aneurysm was 5.2cm (I’m a very small person) playing the waiting game in my case was like playing Russian roulette – it could have been fatal for me.

Would I have received better heart care if heart issues were promoted as well as breast cancer issues….could my friend Dave have known more about his stroke risk? I don’t know but I do think there’s value in color, symbolism, and in those campaigns that successfully raise awareness on important health issues….and on that note I think I’ll buy a pair of RED shoes…..

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: PINK and RED

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:58 pm

We all could wear something red on race day: socks, wrist band, bandanna, head scarf. We'll know what it means. Maybe I can find some red shoe laces.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Well said Rachel. And an extremely important point. Maybe we can find a way that we as a group can help raise awareness... We should absolutely mention it on our web page and wear some red as Louise suggested.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 pm

You could all wear a red dress in Syracuse.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Good point Rachel. I think part of why we are part HEART is to make others more aware. In a way I'm a little guilty. As both a heart patient and cancer survivor and having lost siblings to both, I tend to be more active with cancer organizations. But to be truthful, that is because we never hear about or have events that promote events to raise money and awareness for heart diseases.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:59 pm

We have our red shirts and red socks for the half.  Very Happy

I'm all packed and ready to go! Last thing to go in is running shoes.  

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:49 pm

You’re so right Mel about the seemingly lack of events within the AHA – and I think this is the bigger issue. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve supported and/or participated in Susan G. Komen, Livestrong, Relay for Life events but AHA events? What AHA events?

There is the Heart Chase event and I’ve even helped to plan one in my area last summer but because it was a first for Holland, it wasn’t that well attended.

I personally think AHA needs to do whatever Komen is doing!

I like the idea about wearing something red next weekend…..but I have to say that (beside my new pink shoes) I don’t really wear those colors (I’m more of a blue-yellow-orange girl to tell the truth)

So I’ll have to get something red over at my favorite store….they’ll be happy to see me stopping by, I’m sure!

Nice picture Louise – looking forward to seeing you there!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Don't forget about the Heart Mini in Cincinnati next spring!!!Very Happy 

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:34 pm

YES - The Heart Mini - that's a big one for us!!!

Looking forward to it too.....hills and all!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 pm

echoguy wrote:Don't forget about the Heart Mini in Cincinnati next spring!!!Very Happy 
This is a really nice heart focused event that we all should try to attend and support. It is one of the few events that the AHA is involved with that highlights and promotes a more active lifestyle than traditional cardiac rehab does. This is a super weekend event in downtown Cincinnati that ends with a special VIP reception for the runners with heart problems. I ran this race with the gang in 2012 and I can't say enough about it. I hope to be there again in 2014.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Worry no more

Post by Gary E on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm going to save the day for you Rach, I've got plenty of Scarlet and Gray gear thanks to my decades at THE Ohio State University. It's all here for your choosing. You can stop by Columbus on your way to Cincy...or I'd be happy to bring it with me because I've been known to show up down there on occasion...just ask Brian.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Gary E wrote:I'm going to save the day for you Rach, I've got plenty of Scarlet and Gray gear thanks to my decades at THE Ohio State University. It's all here for your choosing. You can stop by Columbus on your way to Cincy...or I'd be happy to bring it with me because I've been known to show up down there on occasion...just ask Brian.
Rachel...

If Gary tries to give you a pair of his shoes.......well, just make sure you have a roll of duct tape with you. Very Happy 

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Gary E wrote:I'm going to save the day for you Rach, I've got plenty of Scarlet and Gray gear thanks to my decades at THE Ohio State University. It's all here for your choosing. You can stop by Columbus on your way to Cincy...or I'd be happy to bring it with me because I've been known to show up down there on occasion...just ask Brian.
I would LOVE to see you this time in Cincy - that's for sure (provided they let me into your "country".....)

trishb wrote:Rachel...If Gary tries to give you a pair of his shoes.......well, just make sure you have a roll of duct tape with you.   Very Happy 
Seriously funny Trish!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Rachel,
I have a plan of attack. You come in from the north. I will come in from the south. If we can work out the logistics then we can plant the "Maze and Blue colors over top of the "Scarlet and Gray".
This is a quick and dirty plan as I sit and watch the little brother putting up a good fight against the big brother!
I just saw Todd Blackledge do a 30 second story on the "Holland Peanut Store! If I heard correctly Todd's son goes to Hope College. Hope College mentioned on the ABC game of the week. I am sure that will be all the talk around the college.
kevin

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:13 pm

kcy1998 wrote:Rachel,
I have a plan of attack. You come in from the north. I will come in from the south. If we can work out the logistics then we can plant the "Maze and Blue colors over top of the "Scarlet and Gray".
This is a quick and dirty plan as I sit and watch the little brother putting up a good fight against the big brother!
I just saw Todd Blackledge do a 30 second story on the "Holland Peanut Store! If I heard correctly Todd's son goes to Hope College. Hope College mentioned on the ABC game of the week. I am sure that will be all the talk around the college.
kevin
Okay - I think that will work....with one minor adjustment.....that we bleed those two colors (Maze and Blue) into GREEN!!!! That would truly be the underdog putting up the good fight over the bigger brothers!!!

Yes, I saw that too on Todd Blackledge and the Peanut Store - great story!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Rachel August wrote:
kcy1998 wrote:Rachel,
kevin
Okay - I think that will work....with one minor adjustment.....that we bleed those two colors (Maze and Blue) into GREEN!!!! That would truly be the underdog putting up the good fight over the bigger brothers!!!

Yes, I saw that too on Todd Blackledge and the Peanut Store - great story!!!
Rachel,
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
kevin

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

kcy1998 wrote:
Rachel,
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
kevin
Ah - GOOD - nice to band together!!!