heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Dave Tuttle Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Syracuse Tune-up

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Syracuse Tune-up

Post by twal on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Ran a 10K race in Hazleton, PA as my “tune-up” for Syracuse. This has some special significance in that it was my tune-up for Baltimore last year. Last year, I went in with a mild case of plantar fasciitis. After about 4 miles, I had a severe case of plantar fasciitis and limped in (literally) in 52:34. That lead to my missing Baltimore and being out of serious running for about 5 months, as I went through a series of treatments, etc.

This year I came in with no major injuries and finished in 53:14 (5:29/mi). Wait! I should be running faster than when I was limping. In the previous two weeks this year, I had run a 5K at 8:06/mi and a 8.2 mile in 8:17/mi. How could I run so slow on Saturday? In 2010 I ran 50:56. What went wrong? I’m still scratching my head. I can’t come up with a good excuse. My training has been going well and my pre-race ritual was pretty much the same.

Sure it was a moderately hilly course compared to the one I ran for the 8.2 miler but I should not run that much slower. My splits might provide a clue: 8:37, 7:55, 8:35, 8:53, 8:55, 8:12. The first mile has a lot of uphill so my 8:37 was probably too fast. When I saw my split, it I picked up the pace on the downhill second mile. I may have overcooked it on those first two miles. I really struggled after mile two. (The last mile had a lot of downhill) I’m just not sure why I ran so poorly.

I’m hoping that this race was just an anomaly but I’m recalibrating my goal for Syracuse from a low 1:50 to about 1:55. I need to remember to go out easy in the half marathon.

I did finish first in my age group (but first out of one doesn’t mean much). All of my rivals ran the 5K that was part of the same event. I would have been lucky to get third in my age group in the 5K.

I’m looking forward to seeing you folks in Syracuse. Hopefully, we’ll all have great days then.

twal

Back to top Go down

Re: Syracuse Tune-up

Post by echoguy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Hey Tom. I agree that going out at closer to 9 minute pace for the half makes sense and if you find yourself with more in the tank you should be able to finish strong. Good luck in Syracuse. Sorry I am going to miss it this year.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:00 pm

I did 2 tune ups the last 2 weeks, 1st a long one, then short. I was coming off a month of 35+ miles/week, including one of 40 which is my peek for several years. The race on 9/29 was 7.1 miles, an odd distance but it has a long history and it's one of the toughest we have around here. It's all hills, up and down several hundred feet multiple times, then finish the last half mile cross country. I started by doing a 2 mile warm up jog because I wanted the extra milage for the week, then ran the race as hard as I could which turned out to be around 12 min. pace. I ran it faster last year, but my higher milage had been wearing me down. So I was ok with the time as long as I was able to push hard and not crash & burn.

The 2nd race this Saturday was a flat 5K which I also ran last year. This week though I lowered the mileage and took a couple days off. I could still feel some soreness from the previous week in my warmups, but was determined to push. I ran this one evenly about 10:15/mi and finished about a half minute ahead of last year's time.

In Baltimore last year I kept up about an 11 min pace on the "hilly" portion of the course, which after my 7.1 mile hill climber was hardly a hill at all. So I think I can project my Syracuse pace at 10:45. Not going to win any prizes, but at the tail end of a marathon I'll probably be flying past people who have hit their personal walls.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:38 am

Tom...there is the occasional "not my day"..anomaly as you so well stated. I think we can all relate.
The flash in the pan quick start might be the clue...I have always had problems with that syndrome...negative splits are not something I do generally. I find that starting as close to the lead pack as possible gets me into my race pace better than the back of the pack and passing a bunch of people to start(get out waaay too fast). First mile uphill would likely pose a similar problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:50 pm

twal wrote:
I’m hoping that this race was just an anomaly but I’m recalibrating my goal for Syracuse from a low 1:50 to about 1:55. I need to remember to go out easy in the half marathon.
It probably was just an off day Tom and you'll be back on pace race day... If you want to go out slow and easy in the half just stick with me for the first few miles Embarassed

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Usually, I get hurt getting ready for our Heart get together. This year it was freakier than usual.

I was biking with my wife Sunday. I had to come to a quick stop and planted both feet on the ground before the bike stopped. The tip of the bike seat slammed into my butt. It hurt but I didn't think much of it.

Now after a day of mild pain and looking med sites on the internet, I think I may have broken my coccyx. (Don't laugh, that's a word.) In the past, I didn't have a pain in the ass; I was just a carrier.

The good news (and bad news) is that you can't do much for this condition. Just suffer and eventually you heal. It hurts most when I shift position while sitting or I hit bumps while biking. But I can still run, so look out Syracuse.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 am

Ouch!!!!

Sorry to hear this, but glad to hear that you can still run…..on a slightly related note – I rarely have a pain in the rear......but I can usually be one!!! LOL

Get a donut for your trip into Syracuse….. and have a couple for breakfast too!!!

Hope you heal soon!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:12 pm

I wasn't planning to race today. My coccyx still hurts and my back was so stiff I could barely bend over when I woke up. But the weather was perfect (just a little windy), so I jumped into a 5K x-c race. Turns out I ran my fastest 5K of the year at 25:02 and won the 60+ age group (out of at least 3).

But the most interesting thing were my mile splits (7:59, 7:59, 7:58). I don't think I've ever been that consistent.

If you're observant, you'll note that 8:00/mi is 24:51. The explanation is that the course is long by about 40 yards according to my GPS, so my 5K time was really about 24:47.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you folks in Syracuse.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Nice time and good on the consistent splits.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:19 pm

good on ya lad.....nice splits...and it doesn't matter about the distance (my garmin always measures long)

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Well done!!! Run well in Syracuse..

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top