heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

The Slowest Generation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Slowest Generation

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:43 pm

My brother likes to needle me about delusions of athleticism, and sent me the following article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324807704579085084130007974.html?KEYWORDS=kevin+helliker

While I am clearly not in the subject demographic of the article, I nevertheless share the same character fault. I love the elitist lament: "races are becoming parades." Some interesting, amusing and defensive reader comments as well.

For the record, I am NOT delusional. I can distinguish reality from fantasy, and understand fully that I am pretending when participate in an event.  I am cool with all of that - I liken it to a good video game with health benefits. Razz 

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Re: The Slowest Generation

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:23 pm

I don't know about the kids of today Bill but IMO any geezer who can pound out a marathon or a half mary (or even a 10K) is doing something pretty exceptional no matter what their time considering what the majority of the population is capable of... Add a heart issue to that and in my book they're a card carrying hero!

Pretending? You weren't pretending when I watched you cross the finish line of the Lake Placid Iron Man... You hurt just as bad and were just as tired (if not more so) as the winner.

So I guess what I'm saying here is that I believe our efforts are valid too and there should be no shame in not being fast as long as we're not being lazy in how hard we try.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Nicely said Dave. I think even if the younger ones are slower, possibly by choice, at least they are out there.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:55 pm

1) There are several times more entrants in races in recent years. The number of elite competitors may be the same but they are now a smaller percentage of the total.

2) Advertisers, marketers, sponsors, fund raisers & race directors know which side of the bread is buttered and are appealing to a different sort of participant than a couple decades ago. They promote fun rather than competition.

3) There are more women who are naturally slower than men and far more old runners in any race than ever before. This brings down the average time. The 15 minute 5K runners are still up front.

4) If you want to find a focus on competition look for any race designated USA T&F championship, either regional or national.

5) To see another reason why younger runners are not as competitive, find out how many Div 1 colleges have T&F and XC teams now vs 30 years ago. Many have dropped it, so there are fewer opportunities to develop young talent.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Have to admit that at times I have questioned the 17 hour time limit for the IM. This gives athletes 2hrs 20 minutes for a 2.4 mile swim. Then until 5:30pm to finish the bike (8hrs and 10mins, for bike if you took full 2:20 to finish swim). Then have 6 and half hours to finish if you took full time for first two events. Sorry but except for a few exceptions for age and disability I find it hard with reasonable training that one can't hit these time limits.

I have no problem celebrating the every day athlete at these events. However after being at the midnight finish this year at IM Wisconsin. I have a hard time cheering for the healthy able bodied 30y/o crossing the finish line at 11:59.

I guess even more reason to celebrate all of you that defy the odds!

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:41 am

The times I'm running now put me about at th 50% of a typical race field. If I ran those times in 1990, I'd be about 90% of the way back. Young runners just aren't continuing serioous training once they finish competing in school.

There are few good role models in America and they don't get publicity in sports news. I blame this on Kenyans. The are so good and destroy Americans in road races so Americans just give up and try skate boarding and weed. We need an running American Peyton Manning or Tiger Woods to serve as a role model. (Galen Rupp is good but nobody knows about him other than serious fans.)

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:04 pm

kyoung wrote:

I have no problem celebrating the every day athlete at these events. However after being at the midnight finish this year at IM Wisconsin. I have a hard time cheering for the healthy able bodied 30y/o crossing the finish line at 11:59.

You did the Wisconsin IM this year????????

Seriously...you just had back surgery. And not so long ago you thought just doing a minor event was out of the question with all your heart issues.

Heck, I would be cheering for you if you were crawling across the line at dawn. cheers 

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:18 pm

This slipped by me Kevin.... Did you do the IM?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:02 pm

As much as I argued against it, I'm beginning to think this may be true. I ran a race today that I had done in 1983 and the time I ran back then would have placed me in the top 10 of 250. I was never especially competitive even then and that time probably wouldn't have put me in the top 10 place in the 30-39 age group. I heard one young guy crowing about running 23 minutes and almost felt like saying 23 would have been an embarrassment to me at your age.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:43 pm

My idols were Jim Ryan, Alberto, Frank Shorter and to a lesser degree Prefontaine ( he was such a jerk)...all elites that could actually win at the international level.

As a country we haven't fielded any one close to those runners in a few decades.

As a country I'd be surprised if we could field a dozen marathoners that would be considered serious contenders at the elite level

Kenya could put 50 out there at any given time.

the why of this scenario is complex and I'm no expert.

But when the you get tired of gettin' beat up by the bully...you find a different place to be...where the bully ain't.

Get a medal at the Olympics....and you'll start to get more interest. a whole lot easier typed than done.

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:25 pm

In the race I ran yesterday, back when I was in my 20-30's, my times then would have won it by several minutes. but back then there would have been 20 people ahead of me.

Concerning medals, what about Galen Rupp, Matt Centrowicz, Shalane Flangan and Jenny Simpson? They have all medaled at recent Olympics or world championship in distance events, but no one but true track fans has heard of them.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:20 pm

You are correct in the names Twal...all very competitive medal winners. But where is the press?...or rather social media buzz on these performances?

I don't watch much tv..but back in the day I was always glued to the tube for wide world of sports...almost a "60 Minutes" of sport stuff...not sure there's a popular venue for that kind of reporting (some back water cable channel maybe...but not the mainstream).

When McDougall came to to Boston a couple of years ago he got some morning drive time yakk on the sports radio...but as soon as the marathon was done...poof...no interest from the media.

T&F has always been on the fringe...at my local HS its been eclipsed by lacrosse and field hockey...ice hockey too absorbs quite a few athletes. None of this was around when I was growing up.

I've had occasion to meet a few young runners...HS and college... and they are a very dedicated lot. But with any sport...their local effort pales when it comes to regional and larger competitions...do they lose interest...no...but they don't pursue the dream as long either..they move on.

when the budgets shrink some more...and people..like ourselves dive in to coach and administer...XC and T&F may gain some traction...but it starts in middle school.

Track is very affordable (see Kenya) as a program...The next town up Island has a very dynamic program...40 or so on the XC team (school population of 1900 ) It all started with a very good popuar coach that really built up the program...its been going strong for 15 years. It can be done.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum