heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

How Often Do You Run?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How Often Do You Run?

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:39 pm

How many days per week do you run and why?

I've read that every other day is optimal for runners over 50 and I'm curious about your experience.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: How Often Do You Run?

Post by Sumorunner on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:10 pm

It varies by the season. In winter, Jan/Feb, it's catch as catch can, leaving me with perhaps 3 days a week. Some weeks zero when big snow storms make roads unsafe. I only average about 10 miles a week in Jan/Feb.

In spring and summer I pick it up to 20-30 miles on 5-6 days a week. Usually, the weather takes at least one day away from my plan, so I'm generally prepared to run every day. A good spate of weather might catch me running as much as 10 days in a row. I do drop the mileage in summer because of heat and humidity, but I also toss in a few days of lap swimming, doing some sort of workout 6 days a week.

In fall I have always done the most mileage, not only longer runs but I will run 7 days a week if weather permits only tailing off in late December when the weather turns cold again.

This pattern is much the same at age 65 as it was at 35 and the total miles are roughly the same. Only the pace has slowed.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 pm

I run 3 or 4 days a week. Usually Tuesday is track intervals, Thursday longer run with hills, Saturday longer run, Sunday...whatever. Monday & Wed try to get in a walk or elliptical at the gym. I try to squeeze some biking & swimming in, but swimming has been rare. I also do three days TRX workouts at the gym. Good thing I'm retired. Smile

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:31 am

Daily. Maybe that's why I keep slowing down.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:09 am

Well…..I’m not over 50 yet… but I will get injured if I run every day! I’ve figured out that the most I can tolerate is three consecutive days max - more than that and I’m headed towards some kind of leg/foot/knee/hip break-down.

Ideally, I like every other day – but if the weather conditions are right I’ll do a couple days in a row…. I still try to avoid going over 3 days – I really hate being sidelined with an injury.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:31 pm

I have been running 6 days per week for several years now. Generally taking Monday off. After I had surgery and could run regularly again, I decided to try to stick to a general plan of:

one day completely off per week
one "cut back" week per month
one "cut back" month per year.

This was my first year of actually doing a "cut back" month. I cut miles way back in July. I just got slow and fat rather than refreshed. I felt draggy for a month trying to get back in shape. I think next summer I will just take a "cutback fortnight"

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Lets see, YEARS ago, I ran 6 days a week, 5 miles a day, a long run on Saturday if I was training for something, 5 days a week if I wasn't training.  TX summers can be brutal, I didn't run during June, July, by mid August I could still get enough miles in for the fall/winter racing season.  I ran White Rock 1/2 in November 1992, my first Marathon in February 1993, Cowtown.  For the 1/2 my pace then was 7:43 min miles, 8:58 min miles for marathon.  Oh the days. :geek:   If I can get back to it on a regular basis, I'll be happy to run every other day or every two days, 3 to 5 miles.

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:59 pm

When training for a triathlon I run 4 days a week. When training for a marathon usually 5 days a week. With marathon training I do more mileage with some bike training. With triathlon I do less running but with more bike training and then obviously swimming mixed in. Overall cardio workout helps compensate for less miles for triathlon.

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Every other day is the best I can manage. I would prefer to do more but it doesn't work out very well ...work and body wise. W/E s I tend to go consecutive if only to grab some mileage.

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:52 pm

I totally understand schedule conflicts that limit how often you run. Or simply that you don't want to run every day, which is perfectly fine also. But I'm curious about those who said the can't or shouldn't run daily. Why do you think that is the case?

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

I run four times per week on average, sometimes five, with an average weekly mileage of around 45-50 miles, so I guess my sessions are relatively 'long' compared with some others. I can get a little bit of a boost from doing a few more runs in a tight timeframe (a heavier couple of weeks or whatever), but the bigger problem of running every day for me would be further accumulated fatigue.

I've been running for nearly 38 years now, so I guess I've got residual endurance and strength, and I do find that recovery time has got longer as I have got older. I'm 51 now, and I'm often running tired and a little sore from the heavy workload I've been putting myself through for a long time - if anything, I should be trying to cut back on my weekly runs rather than adding to them I think.
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Russ - I think there is a lot of truth in your "residual endurance and strength" comment. I've been running for 38 years also and find I can fake my way through with a lot less training than I used to need.

Still, I have found as I've gotten older I tend to do better with running more often, but not as far on each run. I don't know if that is age related (I'm 46) as much as it just works better for me in general, and it is something I didn't try when I was younger. I definitely recover faster doing more runs, and I both recover faster and improve my fitness faster by doing a recovery run instead of skipping a run completely. But I don't cross train, so cross training on a recovery day might be even better still.

When I was running very well in 2012 I was doing 13 runs on a good week, so not just every day, but twice a day 6 days a week and then a single run on Sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:11 pm

That's interesting - though perhaps in some ways we are comparable. I'm stronger and I recover faster through maintaining a fairly tough training and racing regime - a few years ago I would ease right off for several weeks after a marathon, and now I'm doing a recovery run the day after an ultra and getting back into training the next week.

Over the past year I've added in a pilates session once a week which has really helped with my core strength and keeping muscles stretched, plus I have regular sports massage.
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:28 pm

I took a USAT&F coaching course back in about 1990 and one factor they stressed in designing a training plan for an athlete was "training age". That is, if you have a new athlete without any competitive background you should consider their age as 1 and older athletes with the number of years they been competing in the sport. Beyond about 7 yrs it makes no big difference. So the newbees with low training ages needed to start lower and progress slower and older ones could ramp up the work load and intensity more quickly.

We've all heard "muscles have memory" and indeed they do. If something is done repetitively, then they respond best to that movement. But training age is from the onset of a training cycle and has more to do with structure. New weight lifters can get a muscle strong enough in 6-8 weeks that it can overpower the underlying structure, even break a bone. Bones, tendons and ligaments take a long time to strengthen and will remain strong long after training eases off. That's why you can get back to heavier workouts in short order and return to competitive shape sooner.

I've been doing pushups most of my life and can sometimes stop doing them for 6 months at a time. But when I restart, I can do twice as many as a normal man my age and increase them to incredible numbers in a few weeks. Running is similar. If you're an old-timer and read the couch to 5K schedule, youll find it laughable. But that's exacly what a newbee needs. If you've been running as long as we have, you can train for a 5k by signing the entry form.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Very well said Jack, I've never seen it put in that perspective before and it makes perfect sense to me... Explains how I can ramp up my mileage pretty quickly after a lay off with only muscular damage if I get too aggressive.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Russ and I are currently doing similar mileage, but he he does it with 4-5 runs a week, and I do it with 10-12 runs. Both work, but they aren't equivalent. Russ runs ultras - I run 5K's and 10K's. When training for longer events, it is much better to do fewer runs that are longer. Running 2 five milers is fine when training for a 5K, but a single 10 miler is much better if you are training for something of half marathon distance or up. By doing more, shorter runs, I can keep my pace up better, which helps me in my shorter race distances.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:31 pm

My wife hasn't missed a day since a few weeks after our youngest was born. That was early in 1980, so I'll let you do the math.

I, on the other hand, attempt to run every day but something always seems to get in the way. More and more it's injury related as I get older. During my competitive decades I averaged about 80 miles a week (seldom with a day off). Now I'm hard pressed to run 30 miles a week. Sad 
Gary E

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum