heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Twal’s recent races

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Twal’s recent races

Post by twal on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:31 pm

I went on a racing binge this past month. I didn’t have any major injuries and racing is the main reason why I run (even though I’m not all that good at it). There was a series of mile runs during the mid-weeks but those races were oriented toward fast people, so I was well back in the pack in a lot of these.

10 Aug – 10K - Scranton, Pa. 51:04 , rolling course, 18 out of 31 (1 out of 2 in 60-69 age group but no age group awards) At that pace, I would have been 11th out of 164 (including walkers) in accompanying 5k

14 Aug - Mile - Wilkes-Barre, Pa., 7:33 on old dirt track, 29th out of 33. 2 out of 2 in 60+. Beaten by rival in finish sprint.

17 Aug – 5K cross country – Clarks Green, Pa., 26:10, hilly, rugged course, 13 out of 30, 1 out of 2, 60+.

21 Aug – Mile – Giant’s Despair Mountain, 11:53, 12% uphill grade for one mile (200 m climb in 1600 m), 47th out of 73, beat a few of my rivals that usually beat me. I seem to like this kind of course. Would have been 3rd in 60+ but no age group awards

24 Aug – 10K trail run – Nescopek State Park, 53:17, 15 out of 27, 2 out of 4 in 60+. Rolling out and back course. Felt like it was uphill both ways. Beat one of my rivals that I seldom beat.

30 Aug – Mile (flat road) – Wilkes-Barre, Pa., 7:29, 39 out of 47. 2 out of 2 60+. Outkicked again by the guy who got me on 10 Aug. Most of the people behind me were little kids. Was disappointed by my time because I ran 7:16 last year on this course and felt I was in the same shape.

Was going to do a 5k today (Labor Day holiday) but there are thunderstorms in the area and don’t want to risk it. Six races in 20 days sounds like a lot but three were mile runs that were a lot of fun.

When I say “rivals” above, I’m talking about runners about my age and ability who I compete with a lot. While during the races we try to kill one another, these are some of my best friends before and after the races.

I really enjoy these shorter races with small fields but preferably with a lot of folks around my ability. Unfortunately, these races tend to attract mostly fast people. I wish there were more mile runs for old, slow people. I still think it’s a lot more fun to race for 38th out of 47 in a mile rather than struggle in to finish 2387 out of 3754 in a marathon.

I’m going to be shifting gears now as the weather gets cooler and I get ready for the Empire State half marathon in October.
twal

Back to top Go down

Re: Twal’s recent races

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:56 pm

You put in a really great month Tom and some fine times too! Well done!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Um - I beg to differ with you Tom - I think your times are really great.

Sounds like you're having fun anyway trying to beat your "rivals" - a little friendly competition goes a very long way!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:23 pm

I agree that you had a great August, Tom!

And it looks like you are leaving some of your "rivals" in the dust! Well done!

trishb

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum